Dispersed Camping Question--Florence Lake or before?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ScottG
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Dispersed Camping Question--Florence Lake or before?

Post by ScottG »

Hello all,

A friend and I are headed out of Florence Lake next week; driving over from the San Jose area. Planning to car camp / dispersed camp the evening prior after picking up permit in Prather. I've never been on the Kaiser Pass Road. Looking for recommendations on where to pull in for the night and car camp (preferably near water source) that will set us up for an early start the next morning. Thank you.
donutnational
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dispersed Camping Question--Florence Lake or before?

Post by donutnational »

There is (or used to be) water near the High Sierra Ranger Station. Unlimited dispersed camping along the road . Camping near Jackass Dike below the dam is nice.
ScottG
Topix Novice

Post by ScottG »

Ok, thank you. I should clarify, don't need a water tap; just hoping to camp near a stream or lake along the way.
owen
Topix Novice

Post by owen »

I was just up there a couple weeks ago. Yeah dispersed camping all along the way. I camped at Ward Lake which is just before Florence Lake. I basically just pulled over and pitched my tent.