TR: Up High Walkabout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Up High Walkabout

Post by commonloon »

Thanks @cgundersen. Henry was flying up the peaks. I was leading thru the off trail bits. The route played to both our strengths.

Thanks @Flamingo. Definitely a fun route. I'd like to try it with more snow. Some of those sandy bits weren't as fun.

@Rockyroad Sounds like someone else was as crazy as us on Tues. We went thru Sunday morning. We both thought that is was possible that Versteeg and Tyndall Col had deteriorated in recent years. Perhaps when Secor climbed it or who ever gave him the beta, it was in better shape with more pleasant climbing along the ridge/gendarmes. Love that Upper Wrights lake want to go back there and fish and camp sometime.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

What an adventure. I see you guys are still full of energy.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

@sekihiker Yip, but I have to admit I was really tired after this one. Super motivated during, just love that part of the Sierra.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Great report and photos! Sounds like a fun trip! We’ll be base camping at Upper Soldier Lake this weekend, so appreciate those pics. We camped at the “main” Soldier Lake when we visited Miter Basin last year. It was great on Friday, but got crowded on Saturday. Hoping the upper one provides a little more solitude.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks @astrogerly. The Upper lake is really nice, has great campsites just above the lake (north of) and we had it to ourselves.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

What a great combination of off backpacking and peak climbing! Terrific trip and route. What a harsh way to lead off too: 5 pm start up the Shepherd Pass trail. Intense.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks @giantbrookie I'm now thinking about a fall fishing trip. Maybe LSA etc or Tehipite Valley or something. It should be slightly less intense ;-)
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

Inspiring effort and report, thanks for sharing! I'd like to do something similar at some point. I'm a bit curious about how you manage multinight pack weight on the more committed scrambling, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts/strategy (beyond just stashing gear at the base of an out/back climb) commonloon :)
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

levi wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:10 pm Inspiring effort and report, thanks for sharing! I'd like to do something similar at some point. I'm a bit curious about how you manage multinight pack weight on the more committed scrambling, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts/strategy (beyond just stashing gear at the base of an out/back climb) commonloon :)
Thanks. Sure.

We did drop packs for some things: Versteeg (at Tyndall Col), Russell & Carillon (at Russell-Carillon col) and Muir (a bit up, away from trail). I have a small running belt, essentially like a fanny pack, that I used when we left our packs behind. I took a windshirt or snacks, my inreach, iphone and water in this.

We do our best to do it Alpine style aka light & fast w/ smaller packs. I was using a 35L UD fastpack and I think my total starting weight was a little over 18 lb and change with 4 1/2 days food. Weather was nice: warm and no monsoon pattern forecasted so I took bare minimum. I think having a smaller, fairly narrow and tight fitting pack is really important if you need to wear it while doing class 3 scrambling. My UD pack is also fairly abrasion resistant, very important.

Our route also was good in that the class 3 stuff that we had to do was later in the trip when I packs had lightened up a bit. The 2nd day over Versteeg to Wallace lake seemed to me, the hardest; packs on the whole day except the summit.

Hope that helps.
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

It definitely helps. The running belt in particular seems like a better/faster compromise than what I sometimes do, which is stash my larger overnight gear (tent, sleep system, stove, bearcan) but still carry my pack. Gear gear gear. Thanks!