Permit? Agnew Meadows CG, Shadow Creek, River Trail, High Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Permit? Agnew Meadows CG, Shadow Creek, River Trail, High Trail

Post by Iriscaddis »

Greetings, and yet another question about Permits. I see there's permits for Shadow Creek, River Trail, High Trail, down at the end of Agnew Meadows. Question, does one need a permit for the AG campground? I know it's first come first serve but with all the changes just asking the board, to be sure. Thanks!
Last edited by Iriscaddis on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Permit? Agnew Meadows CG, Shadow Creek, River Trail, High Trail

Post by Enigmagic »

first come first served sites don't need permits or reservations, just show up and see if there are any open sites. we've had decent luck at other campgrounds around Mammoth in previous years, though the only time we've stayed at Agnew we had reservations for one of the group sites. there is also free dispersed camping elsewhere in the county.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

Thanks for info. What about the guard station before heading down? Currently, the rangers are only allowing based on Postpile and Reds Meadow parking availability but I heard they’re being really fussy when you say your going to the campsites. Rangers been pushing back. We usually head in before 7am.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Enigmagic »

we've never been up there when the gates were manned. I'm sure it's different this year too without the bus running. maybe someone with recent experience will chime in.