2020 SEKI Wilderness Permit Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

2020 SEKI Wilderness Permit Question

Post by davidsheridan »

Hey HST Community,

I have a question about an upcoming 2020 SEKI wilderness permit. I hope someone can help me answer...

Background:
I have a 2-night permit for Alta/Wolverton trailhead.
I would like to arrive the night before to camp & I would also like to camp in the park after I I exit from the trail.

Questions:

Do you know if 2020 west-side SEKI permits allow for 1 night to stay in any backpacker's campground before and after your trip?
For instance, in Yosemite, you can usually stay in a backpacker's campground the night before your trip and the night you exit your trip...

Any information you have is appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

-davidsheridan
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2020 SEKI Wilderness Permit Question

Post by grampy »

SEKI does not have any “backpacker’s” campgrounds like Yosemite does. And of the regular campgrounds, only three opened this season, and all spots are by reservation only (on Recreation.gov website); no first-come sites this year. Potwisha, Lodgepole, and Sunset campgrounds are the three that are open, per THIS:
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ng2020.htm

However, some of the campgrounds in Sequoia National FOREST are open; the N.F. also allows dispersed camping in limited areas, so you probably want to check their website and/or call them for more info. Good luck !
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 2020 SEKI Wilderness Permit Question

Post by franklin411 »

Keep checking recreation.gov for campsite availability. I checked yesterday for Lodgepole and there was nothing available until 9/20. I checked again just now and there are several dates with availability.