TR Crescent Meadow to Onion Valley via HST and JMT 8/12 - 8/19/2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Crescent Meadow to Onion Valley via HST and JMT 8/12 - 8/19/2020

Post by MRrogers »

Kpeter. Yes, I think Colby pass makes the most sense from the west side to the kaweah basin.
From the East side I think there are good options like kearsarge or cottonwood. I do not really like out and backs so I would consider to enter via Colby pass and then exit on a track on the East side and try to cover some new areas.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks @mrogers for sharing this TR. Great photos! I especially like those dusk shots from Nine Lakes Basin. Also... I'm impressed you carried beer. Wow.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Great trip, and fine photos! I really like the ones around Precipice Lake, and that ethereal "Rainbow Bird!" Pyra-queen Col is such a beautiful crossing, glad you guys made it there. I am suffering from bear envy, but I'll get over it slowly. What is your secret? Were you handing out Belgian beer to them? Congratulations on a really nice route.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

Must've missed this when you first posted it, but boy did it make me smile while stuck at home! Thank you for putting it all together.

The "Shangri-La" area around Picket Creek reminded me a little bit of the high meadow just south of Colby Pass, which made me so happy when I reached it on a trip two years ago. I'll definitely keep the Picket Creek basin high on my list. Those alpine trees are so pretty (no idea what kind of tree they are).