Wilson Creek to upper Matterhorn Canyon off-trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lisina10
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wilson Creek to upper Matterhorn Canyon off-trail?

Post by Lisina10 »

Curious if anyone knows if it's doable to follow Wilson Creek up to the top, then pop over the ridge north of Quarry Peak to drop down into Matterhorn Canyon, potentially using a drainage that starts from a spring just NE of Doghead. I've been studying Google Earth and topos and it looks like it might go, but hard to tell. Would be looking to stick to class 2, maybe a class 3 move or two if exposure isn't crazy. Thanks!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Wilson Creek to upper Matterhorn Canyon off-trail?

Post by wildhiker »

Hi Lisina10,

Here's a photo taken straight down Matterhorn Canyon from the headwaters looking at Quarry Peak from my trip in 2006. I believe the north side of the pass from Wilson Creek of which you inquire is between the first and second knobs to the right of Quarry Peak proper (which is the tallest peak in the middle of the photo). Not the couloir full of snow, but the low spot to the right of it. The face below it looks awfully steep to me!

-Phil
IMG_9642-QuarryPeak.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lisina10
Topix Novice

Re: Wilson Creek to upper Matterhorn Canyon off-trail?

Post by Lisina10 »

Awesome, thanks for sharing that pic. I agree, that looks too steep for me, at least as far as one can tell from the photo. Super helpful!