Humphreys basin/ French Canyon suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Humphreys basin/ French Canyon suggestions

Post by Npike »

Hello all- leaving for 3-4 nights to explore Humphreys Basin loosely based on a TR I read here on 9/13. Plan is- Day 1: camp at Deso or Lower Deso (Not sure which one. Day 2: over Puppet pass and camp at Elba Lake night. Day 3: Down French Canyon and camp at Hutchinson Meadow. Day 4: Hike up Piute canyon and camp TBD (Muriel? Packsaddle?). Plan for this trip is to get more comfortable hiking off trail solo while trying my luck at fishing, so I figured the mileage for this trip is easily doable in 5 days. So, are there any lakes that are exceptional for scenery/ fishing and any that you think I should avoid (lack of good sites/ not very scenic)

Also, how tough is a hike to pilot knob from Puppet Pass? Look pretty straightforward on a map, any tips here?

Any recommendations are welcome! Thanks!!!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Humphreys basin/ French Canyon suggestions

Post by rlown »

It usually takes us 2 days to get over Puppet pass, but we're in our late 50's. we like to camp at Tomahawk (brookies) the first night. We had a storm coming in and stayed at lower deso; not a good fishing lake. Not sure why you are picking Elba. Area between Paris and Puppet is better.

Packsaddle is unimpressive in terms of fishing. Muriel produces on the NW side where the sharp drop off is as you make your way around the lake as if you were going towards Goethe.
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Humphreys basin/ French Canyon suggestions

Post by Npike »

rlown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:19 pm Not sure why you are picking Elba. Area between Paris and Puppet is better.
only because of reading a different TR online and the person stated that Elba was a much better choice than Moon or Alsace. Definitely open to suggestions though! Thanks for the feedback re; Lower Deso