TR: Yosemite / May Lake 9/6 - 9/8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Yosemite / May Lake 9/6 - 9/8

Post by sambieni »

Thanks all. Much appreciated
Pack was a kid's Osprey pack - Osprey Ace 38. Its adjustable and advertised for 5 - 11 year olds. My nearly 6 year old is dying to use it. We'll see.

Olmstead - yes! We hung there on two separate occasions for a bit to take in the view. I knew it had to be marmot central and scoured like crazy, but between the annoying other tourists w/ their cameras not keeping much distance and the ashen / smoky skies, both me and the Marmots decided better not to hang around.

I think next summer's trip is looking at either Cathedral Lakes a/o Lyell Canyon. Course, I may need some winter trip w/ her down here in SoCal. Hmmm.....
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Next time that you are back there to visit the marmots, instead of staying at the top near the parking lot and the tourists, take a walk around the right side and down to the bottom of that rock pile. That seems to be where the marmots have their rocky burrows. I snapped a shot of a baby marmot there one time. It seemed to be the first time that it had been out of the burrow without its parents.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Kudos Sambieni and daughter! Sounds like you pulled a pretty nice trip out of a smoky hat. Glad your daughter enjoyed the trip, even after you loaded her down with all the water:
I had tossed an extra liter of water into her pack by accident and forgot... Oooops, stupid dad moment...
Or was that a Freudian slip up? :nod: I hate carrying water too.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.