Trip advice for late October 5-6 day backpack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip advice for late October 5-6 day backpack

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Circle of Solitude is NOT the route I would do late October-early November. It puts you in some very remote locations difficult to get back out if a surprise storm moves in. Regardless of weather you spend a lot of time in deep valleys (Deadman Canyon, Cloud Canyon) that will be cold and dark for most of the day due to low sun and diminished daylight hours. I have been in a lot of that area late season and it is not at its best- will look dry, tired and likely will still have hazy conditions. It actually would look much better in late winter/early spring as a ski tour. It may turn out fine, but odds are against you.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

I agree with @Wandering Daisy that the CiS:
Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am puts you in some very remote locations difficult to get back out if a surprise storm moves in.
I didn't mean necessarily to put it forward as a route for others in October, just had mentioned it as something I had done. I was doing bigger miles than most people like to do (2 1/2 days for the loop), so I had a better idea of weather (It was forecast to be clear). When I planned the trip, I had thought about campsites where I thought if any serious weather moved in that I could hunker down or go to safety, e.g. Kern canyon. I had also camped at Tyndall Creek during a snowstorm in the past and knew Vidette meadows down would be "Safe" as well.

We must all make any risk assessment based on our individual experience level, and be prepared for weather.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Wandering Daisy and Commonloon, thank you so much. Yes, I will assess the risks. I am not that confident in myself so will probably choose a route that will enable me to base camp a few miles from the car, for a quick get away if necessary, yet afford me some great day hikes. Even though I have a good tent and warm gear that will stand up to a storm, I wouldn't want to be stuck in it all day. Not my idea of a good time. :)
Thanks so much for the guidance on what to look for in the trip as far as darkness and remoteness. A ski trip sounds awesome in there!!! I will have to study the topo.