2021 trips booked?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2021 trips booked?

Post by jeremiahkim »

BardoPond wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:15 pm Personally I find the current reservation system stress-inducing. It's handy to see the availability on the website, but handing out most of the permits 6 months in advance doesn't make sense to me.
Agree. I was able to book a few trips within the past week but it took several days of being logged on and refreshing until the permits went live. Even then, most popular trailheads went straight to "W" status. For some trailheads, even when showing permits available, the system would not let you book due to "too many people requesting permits."

I recall even just a few years ago most of these trailheads being available throughout the summer. Now, they are mostly all booked within a few days (if not minutes) of being released. I'm sure the "lost year" of 2020 has played a part, but this does not seem to be a sustainably equitable system for access into the backcountry. Hoping the confluence of external conditions and better infrastructure improves soon.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I had an interesting experience with Recreation.gov. I wanted to get a single permit for Bishop Pass on a particular date. I'm a Springsteen fanatic so know what it’s like to hit the book button at exactly the second on the hour. I’ve been getting my first choice for a campsite on Recreation.gov for a trip to Utah with my wife, even resorting to dual screens for two different campsites and hitting the book button at the exact second

When I hit the button at the exact second, the screen was filled with “W” for not only Bishop Pass, but also both Cottonwoods and Piute Pass. There was one spot for Kearsarge and I grabbed it even though the trip I’d planned was Bishop. I figured I’d just come up with a different trip.

The next morning I got up and decided to turn on the computer and check Inyo Wilderness Permits. This was at 7:10. Like the day before, the screen was filled with “W” for all the major trails from Bishop to Cottonwood to River, Shadow Creek, Kearsarge, Piute, even Pine Creek. I went off to do other things and then whimsically refreshed the computer page at 7:30. There were now two openings for Bishop Pass. I grabbed one and cancelled the Kearsarge. Obviously, someone or some commercial business is grabbing permits and then cancelling one or two.

Does anyone have an explanation for what is occurring? Like I said, I am experienced at dealing with getting a reservation at exactly 7:00 to the second and found the major trailheads already booked.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My theory is that a lot of people are over-booking. At least, that is what I am counting on- that a fair number of permits will be cancelled. However I am not holding my breath on cancellations- there is not enough of a penalty for not cancelling. Additionally, it is very common for people to get a permit for x number of people and at least one person bails out. How are those permit slots going to be allocated, if at all? Very poor system that is very vulnerable to misuse, laziness and outright fraud. I hope this system is only due to COVID and will go back to real first-come-day of trip permits as soon as possible. I am a believer in permits, but if only the lucky few get the permits, you will see a lot of "stealth backpacking", myself probably included.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I was able to get a permit for 2 for Kearsarge Pass. Our plan is to spend 8 days between there and Dollar Lake. Low miles and lots of exploring. Hoping to get up to Sixty Lakes Basin and Dragon Lake.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

grampy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 pm
looks easy from here wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 pm Booked for August 1 ... Pine Creek's gonna get a little rowdy that week.
Perhaps we will cross paths (?) - I have a Pine Creek permit starting a couple days before you. Hoping to visit Royce Lakes, if I feel comfortable with the x/c travel when I get there.
Perhaps. If you come across a group of buffoons loaded with too many luxuries to make more than 4 miles per day that will be us. We'll be trending towards French Canyon, though.

I've been up that way a couple of times, and imo the xc from Honeymoon Lake to Royce Pass is a piece of cake. Just a heads up, based on my experience the Royce Lakes' basin acts as a bit of a solar oven, and there's no shade, so bring a good hat and sunscreen. But otherwise it's very beautiful.
seamusperry
Topix Novice

Post by seamusperry »

I couldn't believe how fast Woods Creek/Kings Canyon permits went - I logged into the SEKI portal right at the stroke of 7:00 and was able to grab a 5 person, July 8 departure, but by the time I completed the process and rechecked the site, basically all of Woods creek is gone.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Since I was reserving Sugarloaf, it was easy since it’s not a popular trailhead. However, it did take it literally over a minute to load the next screen after I pushed “Book Now,” an indication of how busy the website was. When I was done and went back to satisfy my curiosity about the popular trailheads, they were all reserved. The system is clearly no longer functioning the way it was intended.

The Park Service, Forest Service, and Recreation.gov need to really penalize people who reserve trailheads and campsites and are “no shows.” It’s bad enough to reserve a trailhead or campsite that one knows they will probably cancel, but it’s worse to reserve the spot and not show up without cancelling in advance. At least when one cancels in advance, someone else can get the spot. If it’s a no-show, one does not know until the morning of, which makes it difficult for working people to plan ahead. Personally, I think people who are “no shows” and do not cancel, should be banned from Recreation.gov for six months if he/she is a “no show” more than once in the span of a year. People’s behavior will not change until the consequences are more than a few dollars that appear on their credit card bill.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

LMBSGV wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:02 pm The Park Service, Forest Service, and Recreation.gov need to really penalize people who reserve trailheads and campsites and are “no shows.” It’s bad enough to reserve a trailhead or campsite that one knows they will probably cancel, but it’s worse to reserve the spot and not show up without cancelling in advance. At least when one cancels in advance, someone else can get the spot. If it’s a no-show, one does not know until the morning of, which makes it difficult for working people to plan ahead. Personally, I think people who are “no shows” and do not cancel, should be banned from Recreation.gov for six months if he/she is a “no show” more than once in the span of a year. People’s behavior will not change until the consequences are more than a few dollars that appear on their credit card bill.
The way it is now, I don't have to go anywhere to "pick-up" my permit. I can just get it online and never actually use it. The only way to do what you want is to go back to issuing the actual permit in person instead of on-line. I'm betting that they aren't going to do that. My opinion is that the people who make these bigger regional decisions see the electronic booking method as a cost savings and really don't care if fewer people are able to actually get into the wilderness. If anything, that's probably an added bonus from their point of view.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

SeKi permits opened up this morning, and I got one for August 2-6 out of Lodgepole. Twin Lakes, Crescent Lake, Box Canyon, Tablelands, and out the Lakes trail. No complaints about the process, but then this isn't a super high-demand trailhead.
I couldn't believe how fast Woods Creek/Kings Canyon permits went - I logged into the SEKI portal right at the stroke of 7:00 and was able to grab a 5 person, July 8 departure, but by the time I completed the process and rechecked the site, basically all of Woods creek is gone.
Which is ironic because last I heard the South Fork bridge at Upper Paradise is still out, and will be through the season. I have to wonder how many of the people who jumped on Rae Lakes Loop permits just assumed the bridge would be there. If we end up with normal or near-normal snowpack (more storms on the way!) that won't be a fun crossing in early to mid July.
dprice1
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dprice1 »

Has anyone been able to figure out how to obtain a permit for entering in at Courtright Lake to Post Coral Mdws to Hell for
Sure Pass? Sierra NF Ranger tells me they’re now in rec.gov Inyo online reservations.
but no info comes up when I go onto the site. Got in earlier in January and grabbed an entrance at Lamark Lakes permit and that was easy, but this is turning into a conundrum