Trans-sierra trip August 1985

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trans-sierra trip August 1985

Post by Jimr »

No.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Really enjoyed this story. Sounds like it definitely didn't turn out as planned, but hey that's a real adventure. Sometimes it's hard to find a crew that can make decisions together, keep a sense of humor, and make it through the rough spots on the journey. Sounds like Dude got what was coming to him. Glad it didn't completely ruin the trip for the rest of you. Question is, when will he recognize that this story is about him and say hello on the forums!? Haha
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Fishing with El Sid!?? I cannot imagine the challenge of seeing the line and tiny eyelet on the lure through the psychedelic visual fog, let alone sustaining the mental focus required to stay on task and fish for more than a cast or two. Catching one of Nature's little creatures and watching it struggle for its very life would also be more than I would want to wrap my mind around under that mental state. But 'Sid would have made those passes a mere stroll, packs and all, as it supercharges one's cardio.

As for Dude... Perfect storm of big ego and anger issues. He probably thinks he can block the sun out with his thumb.

This whole story reads likes a Hunter S Thompson farce. I loved the read, but would hate to live through it. This is one of the most entertaining hikes-gone-wrong tale I can recall. Glad everyone got back, all things considered.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.