Wilderness Permits via recreation.gov 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness Permits via recreation.gov 2021

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Does anyone know if there are available slots before you start this painful process? What if you then do not get the slot? Have to start all over again simply to apply for another date?

As someone who does not internet shop, this is all a PITA to me. Since I do longer trips, I would be tempted to put in first night because that is required, but then just have all the rest of the nights as a "base camp" for simplicity. Pull down menus are really slow; doubt I could finish the process in time given. It seems like the most important thing is to have a permit, specifics are less important. Having only had my permit checked twice in 20 years, I think I would be fairly safe, given off trail camping.

Can you imagine trying to get a permit for a 25-day thru hike of Roper's High Route? I did a walk-up, handed my hard copy trip plan to the Ranger and he just stapled it to the permit and kept a copy so he could enter data into his system later. Nothing simpler! Sigh!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Last edited by grampy on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Unfortunately, I already have to cancel a trip in August do to a family wedding that came up.

3-person permit
Overnight with Exit Mount Whitney
Enter at Kearsarge Pass
August 8th

I plan to cancel the permit since it is non-transferable.

My Question:
Does anyone from the HST, who would really want and use this permit) want to try and coordinate with me, so that I will cancel it at a a specified time and then you can try and book it as soon as it becomes available in the recreaction.gov system?

I don't even know if it would work that way? But if anyone wants to try - PM Me and we can coordinate.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:24 am Does anyone know if there are available slots before you start this painful process? What if you then do not get the slot? Have to start all over again simply to apply for another date?
If you get it added to the cart it's supposed to be yours for 15 minutes while you check out. What I do is book the permit for a single night and check out. Once you have the reservation you can extend the exit date and fill in the itinerary without being on the clock. Course this wouldn't work for a Trail Crest exit but it does everywhere else.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

davidsheridan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 am Does anyone from the HST, who would really want and use this permit) want to try and coordinate with me, so that I will cancel it at a a specified time and then you can try and book it as soon as it becomes available in the recreaction.gov system?
Inyo permits are returned at a random time within 24 hours of cancellation to prevent this from happening. I would assume SEKI and Sequoia NF are doing the same thing though I haven't tested or asked anyone.
blackshuk
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by blackshuk »

How does it work permit-wise if you're starting in one national forest and entering another
ie. Starting at devils postpile (inyo) and heading into bench canyon (sierra).
Would I just get the Inyo wilderness permit for devils postpile since that's where I'm starting?
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

blackshuk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:46 pm How does it work permit-wise ... Starting at devils postpile (inyo) and heading into bench canyon (sierra).
Would I just get the Inyo wilderness permit for devils postpile since that's where I'm starting?
Yes, exactly. Lots of (perhaps not all) trailheads for your exit in Sierra NF are listed in the “pulldown” menu (as are at least some for SEKI and Yosemite exits as well).
However, you may find it difficult to enter your complete “night by night” camping itinerary, as (obviously) they can’t/don’t include all “non-Inyo” destinations.
EDIT: see posts (a couple of ones after this one) regarding use of a “other/unknown” entry for camping locations that are not found in the Rec.gov pulldown list.
Last edited by grampy on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

grampy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:25 pm You should probably follow suggestion by @Enigmagic to include a shorter duration, and just list as many non-Inyo camping locations as you can.
I only recommend that for getting through checkout quickly. Afterwards you are allowed to edit the permit exit date and locations without the 15 minute time limit. For unlisted locations they have (or at least had) an "Other" entry.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Enigmagic wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:36 pm
grampy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:25 pm You should probably follow suggestion by @Enigmagic to include a shorter duration, and just list as many non-Inyo camping locations as you can.
I only recommend that for getting through checkout quickly. Afterwards you are allowed to edit the permit exit date and locations without the 15 minute time limit. For unlisted locations they have (or at least had) an "Other" entry.
Yes, you are correct. For camping locations not listed in the pull down, THESE following entries are available (from the pull-down) to use:
> other/don’t know
> SEKI - other
> Yosemite - other
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

Anybody know, what trailhead permit to get for East Lake in SEKI? Is it Bubbs Creek? I thought I remembered they had separate permits available for East lake last year but maybe not... Also what about Avalanche Pass, would that also be Bubbs? I tried looking through the parks website and couldn't find anything on either of those. Ugh.