alta permit and high sierra trail change

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: alta permit and high sierra trail change

Post by Enigmagic »

chulavista wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 am Just imagine if the use-trails between alta and tablelands were put on the map. There would be an explosion of people doing the alta/lakes trail loop.
There is already a loop through there on Alltrails, it gets 4.5 stars.

I don't think many of these new backpackers are looking at trail maps for ideas. At least the ones we've bumped into (including a rescue) pretty much just look for well reviewed trips and head out without really even looking at a map, and definitely aren't carrying a paper map, compass or backup device on the trail. We also helped a climber who got lost descending Mount Sill after his phone with Alltrails Pro died.
rjszanto
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rjszanto »

I noticed that about Alta also. I saw on reddit someone was saying to pickup an Alta permit for the HST, but on rec.gov it says otherwise. I didn't realize that was a recent change.

I picked up a permit for Paradise Ridge and am using that for an HST hike. Up from Atwell Mill, hit HST and exit Whitney. It adds 20ish miles over the typical HST traverse. I tried to call and get confirmation that this is okay, but no response yet. In the Paradise Ridge description, it does say "fires not permitted at Hamilton Lakes", which to me implies pretty clearly that using Paradise Ridge to access the HST is legal. There were so many permits available through Paradise, I was (am still) worried about it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I too have looked at obscure or "less desired" trailheads for permit purposes, and decided that it is not worth it in some cases. For example you can get into Miter Basin via Tuttle Pass with the Tuttle Creek TH a non-quota trailhead. But, oh my, what a horrible pass! I have been down the north side descending from Mt Langley but not the south side into Miter Basin. And the hike up from Tuttle Creek TH is not easy- I did it once when climbing Langley NE chute route. Another one- George Creek, which I have been up and down several times, can be used to get to Wallace Lake via Vacation Pass- again a brutal route to go up with a full pack first day of a trip.

On the other hand, Taboose, Shepherd and Sawmill at least have trails in spite of the huge elevation gains- these make more sense. It also seems that all the trailheads out of Mineral King are less popular. I have gone over Farewell Gap and Shotgun pass instead of Franklin Pass- works quite well.

During peak demand backpack season I am going to Wyoming; no permits required there. For early or late season trips, I have several route plans and hope at least one pops up for reservation. Hopefully no-show walk-up permits will be reinstated by September.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

kinda puzzling about Mineral King trails. hose-chewing-marmot-phobia?
wearigo
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by wearigo »

Now on the Wilderness Permits & Reservations page, the words "Wilderness Trip Planner" no longer have a link. When you click on the link for the entry quota map, you see the words "Alta (limited HST access)". At the very least, the quota could have been divided into two groups, no HST and HST.
I see this thread is a few months old but I have info. My Alta reservation/permit says in bold, "This permit does not allow travel on the High Sierra Trail between the Sevenmile Hill Trail and Kaweah Gap." I don't know the area well, but this seems to allow me to cut over from Alta to the HST and stay on it long enough to catch the junction for Elizabeth Pass, Tamarack Lake, etc.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

wearigo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:56 am
Now on the Wilderness Permits & Reservations page, the words "Wilderness Trip Planner" no longer have a link. When you click on the link for the entry quota map, you see the words "Alta (limited HST access)". At the very least, the quota could have been divided into two groups, no HST and HST.
I see this thread is a few months old but I have info. My Alta reservation/permit says in bold, "This permit does not allow travel on the High Sierra Trail between the Sevenmile Hill Trail and Kaweah Gap." I don't know the area well, but this seems to allow me to cut over from Alta to the HST and stay on it long enough to catch the junction for Elizabeth Pass, Tamarack Lake, etc.
I disagree since the section of HST that you're planning to hike is in between Seven Mile Hill and Kaweah Gap. Seven Mile Hill is just west of the junction where the HST meets the trail from Alta. Kaweah Gap is east of Hamilton Lakes. Your stretch of trail lies between these two points.

If you're still in doubt, give them a call.