A Family Trip Along the Rae Lakes Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

We love the Rae Lakes Basin, and the Loop Trail that leads through it. Yes, it's crowded with others like us, but that's fine, because it's also an easy place to enter remote country to the south and west.  My interest is building for this summer's trip back into that magic mountain country, and so I've been pouring over maps, and HST posts. Recently my digging has led me to a set of old photos from one of our favorite family trips to Rae Lakes.  The boys were 6 and 9 years old then (18 & 21 today), and this is the trip where they were turned into confirmed fishermen.  We largely have Dragon Lake to thank for that.  I was there to climb Dragon Peak, but fun with my sons took over.  Fishing with ecstatic kids is a fine trade-off for climbing alone, and sure enough-- that mountain is still there, and I may get to climb it this summer.  

We homeschooled our kids, and on this trip the Sierra wildlife made the science lessons easy.  Baby Deer, Brook Trout, Pikas, Bear sign, Garter Snakes, and cool insects, and even this big Mountain Kingsnake all showed up to give us lesson material. 

DSC00875.JPG

We started late summer at the Bubb's Creek TH, above Cedar Grove, in King's Canyon N.P.  We did the Rae Lakes Loop counter-clockwise, and made the upper Rae Lake our basecamp.  The boys had been hiking even before they were born, since Lizzie never let a pregnancy stop her, and once they were out, we quickly  figured out all manner of baby carrying packs, and diaper systems early on.  Luckily, both boys were great walkers, and back then Lizzie and I were fit enough to throw whoever was tired up for shoulder rides.  
I thought I would slip in this short Trip Report as an off season diversion.  I apologize for the lack of Dogs; the boys will have to do. :)

DSC00743.JPG
These boys here are actually seasoned veterans, with many Sierra trips under their little belts. (along with a few hundred miles in The Rockies; The Alps; the Scottish Highlands; Arctic Norway; and the Southern Alps of New Zealand,.. Homeschooling allowed us to take them everywhere!

DSC00772.JPG
The whole crew minus photographer.

DSC00729.JPG
We camped the first night at Junction Meadow, an easy 10 miles in. We were hoping to see Bears and maybe a Rattlesnake on the way, but missed them. We did see a lot of nice deer though.

DSC00754.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00760.JPG
On the climb up from Vidette Meadow one of my favorite views appears-- East Vidette Mountain seen through foxtail pines.

DSC00769.JPG
On Glen Pass with Mount Clarence King in the center, and Cotter on the left.

DSC00786.JPG
Our fishing began well enough at the upper Rae Lake, with the colorful "Painted Lady" leaning over the lake.

DSC00788.JPG
The boys love spin-casting, because of the constant activity. Someday we hope they graduate to flies, though we have yet to ourselves.

DSC00762.JPG
Some small, some nice 8 inchers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

DSC00792.JPG

We'd heard rumors of bigger fish in the lake under Dragon Peak.

DSC00807.JPG

DSC00808.JPG
Young Nathan really got into fishing, and he's still at it, just went Bass fishing a couple days ago with friends.

DSC00796.JPG
Nothing giant, and all brookies, but a size range higher! The boys were stoked!

DSC00799.JPG
17 fish, and below, 17 skeletons-- we ate them all for lunch.

DSC00809.JPG
Fishing makes for good math lessons too: "If there are 4 of us, and 17 fish, how many do we each get?" Or, since I want to teach them early to exaggerate their fish: "If each fish weighs 5 lbs., how many pounds will we each gain?"

DSC00847.JPG
On the home stretch, one more night in Paradise.

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00834.JPG
We found this shallow, muddy-bottomed pond full of Garter Snakes.

DSC00819.JPG
A Snake hunter.

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00820.JPG
Lizzie likes snakes, and especially frogs too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

DSC00837.JPG
We found 2 parts of the Dragonfly's life-cycle.

DSC00832.JPG
Pupae with their backs neatly split open.

DSC00848.JPG
Down, down the lovely Woods Creek, with more foxtail pines.

DSC00855.JPG
Bear claw marks!

DSC00852.JPG
This was during the boys "Star Wars" phase, so fighting with light-sabers took precedence over lessons on Bears.

DSC00861.JPG
The Castle Domes must be a site for serious climbing, but Roper's C.G. to the High Sierra only mentions the easy ways up? Anybody know?

DSC00859.JPG
Anyone for an "open book?"

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00857.JPG
Nathan standing on a geology lesson.

DSC00856.JPG
Displacement along a fracture- "Can you guys put the rocks back together?"

DSC00868.JPG

DSC00732.JPG
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

DSC00869.JPG
Woods Creek is also called "Paradise Valley."

DSC00870.JPG
Ryan up on the rock.

DSC00816.JPG
When I saw this photo of Ryan in the larkspur, I was immediatly reminded of a recent one like it:

IMG_2067.JPG
Unfortunately, he's indoors, and the tan is from surfing- not mountaineering. But he and friends are getting into camping again.

DSC00872.JPG
We found the Kingsnake here while turning over rocks and wood, looking for worms to fish with.

DSC00871.JPG
It was a really nice trip, where everything just seemed to work out. Our trips went well we think, because our idea was to let the kids lead us around. We tried to do whatever they wanted, and so we were constantly stopping to chuck rocks into ponds, play "stickball" with cones, climb trees, watch marmots... We went at a pace to suit the boys, who often were charging ahead of us. It makes for nice long days, but we put in enough miles to get us there and back.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: A Family Trip Along the Rae Lakes Loop

Post by The Other Tom »

Wow! Great learning laboratory. Your kids are getting an invaluable education. Props to you.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Fun photos. When I was 11 or 12 I took a backpacking trip up to Paradise Valley with my older sister and her friend (both about 15-16). And I remember catching trout off that rock that you have Ryan perched on. What fun.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great photos and memories for a great family trip. I love the colors of the water. Great picture of the faulted, boudinaged [stretched] xenoliths [inclusions in the granite].
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

Wonderful pictures of happy kids. That's hard to beat. We always believed our daughters would turn out fine if we could raise them to be readers and to love the outdoor life. Seems to have worked for us.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

What a great time with your family!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Just super! Way to go for growing up and absorbing the real world as teacher and playground. I recall well that there was nothing quite like catching snakes to keep the mind alert and installing good foundations for rapid learning. (Aka = Mambas are faster than light-sabers so avoid at all costs!). Just great to see your kids keeping the art alive back then...and parents going along for the ride.
Kudos, plus great pics. Rae Lakes indeed looks like it deserves its reputation for beauty too.

Best ~ M.