Yosemite Starting 5/21 Day Reservation Required

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Starting 5/21 Day Reservation Required

Post by gary c. »

robow8 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:38 pm
gary c. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:40 pm So here is my question, I'll probably have to call?
I have a reservation for multiple hikers from Glen Aulin starting on a Thursday. My wife and I plan on driving up on Wednesday to p/u the permit and to stay at the backpackers camp. Another car with friends is driving up to start on the hike day (Thursday) to begin with us. Are they going to need to get a Day Reservation since they not only not in our car but not even the same day?
From this page: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm

Groups with lodging or camping reservations, wilderness permits, and Half Dome permits may arrive in more than one vehicle. An occupant in each vehicle must provide a copy or photo of the driver license belonging to the person who made the reservation (as well as a copy of the reservation) to be permitted to enter.
Thanks' Rob,
I guess that I missed that.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been playing with the Yosemite wilderness reservation system and have questions, but cannot get the wilderness office (evidently they are very busy!).

Does the backpacking permit also act as a day permit? I added a day at the end of a 5-day trip, in case I want to camp just outside Yosemite and drive back in the next day for a day-hike. I did not specify it as such because it also is my contingency day if I was delayed. IF the backpacker campground were open I would just stay in Yosemite and day-hike on my way out. Since it is uncertain if the backpacker CG will be open, would day 6 of my backpack permit qualify for going in for a day-hike? The date would be correct, but it is the end of my trip, not beginning.

I somewhat accidently submitted the application. I thought the system would spit me out since I thought the dates I wanted were now only available for "walk-in". Today is more than the 15-day prior walk-in reservation period. Well, it took my application. I guess all is OK because as long as I do not pay anything I have not reserved the dates. So evidently I wait 2 days for response then have 48 hours to pay? Or if I get no e-mail response, I call them? Problem is that I HAVE been trying over and over to call, with no success.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Have you tried this? https://recreationonestopprod.serviceno ... m/external Use the contact us button and pose your question and let us know what happens.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I do not need answers from recreation.gov. My questions are concerning Yosemite regulations.

I will just keep trying. I suspect that morning calls would work better then hour before the office closes. I hope they will be a bit lenient this year given the mess. I think the main thing is having a permit even if you do not follow it exactly. I am pretty good at stealth camping.

The actual internet experience was pretty good. I was already in their system, so did not even have to fill out all the boxes. And when I made a mistake they highlighted it so I could change it.

Evidently the information needed for payment will come up if a permit is actually obtained. I do not think I have a recreation.gov payment account yet. Who knows! I have reserved through California State Parks- not sure that counts.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Enigmagic »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:35 pm Does the backpacking permit also act as a day permit? I added a day at the end of a 5-day trip, in case I want to camp just outside Yosemite and drive back in the next day for a day-hike.
I don't know if it's an official thing but last year they wrote the car pass for a day or two after the hike exit date. when heading back into the park they just looked at the date and license plate and waved us through. same process this year in February, not sure if it'll continue into the summer.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:35 pm So evidently I wait 2 days for response then have 48 hours to pay?
yep, they review each request and send you an email rejecting or approving it with a link to the payment site. I submitted an invalid one last year (beer was involved) and they rejected it the next day.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

According to the Yosemite website, as of April 8, 2021, the only backpackers campground that will be closed is White Wolf. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm This is further indicated on the wilderness permit page where it states that a night spent in the TM backpackers campground does not constitute leaving the wilderness and invalidating your permit. TM was open to backpackers last year, and as expected, it is open to backpackers again this year. Pretty nice last year with the general campground closure, as backpackers spread out into upper Loop A, near the bathrooms.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I do not think there ever was a "backpacker's" campground at White Wolf. The official backpacker's group campgrounds are in Yosemite Valley, Hetch Hetchy and Tuolumne Meadows. I have found nothing stating that the Valley or Hetch Hetchy campgrounds will be open.

Correction! You are right, there IS a backpackers campground at White Wolf. I never knew that.

I just got my permit and even sent a specific question regarding the Valley backpacker's campground. IT WILL BE OPEN! That sure makes the logistics easier. Plus I now will have plenty of time to enjoy the Valley too.