TR: Agnew to Tuolumne mostly cross country 8/4/19-8/8/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Agnew to Tuolumne mostly cross country 8/4/19-8/8/19

Post by brianA »

Great pics! I loved your T.I. sunrise, and your Nydiver campsite. But please, I've tried to find the Nydiver use trail to no avail. What are the keys to finding it?
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

brianA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 am I've tried to find the Nydiver use trail to no avail. What are the keys to finding it?
There's really only a short section where it could be. Just be good at your map skills and trail intuition about the terrain below Ediza. Use Nydiver outlet as a guide.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

brianA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 am Great pics! I loved your T.I. sunrise, and your Nydiver campsite. But please, I've tried to find the Nydiver use trail to no avail. What are the keys to finding it?
You could always use open street map. The trail is on there, right where you'd expect it to be, where the slope angle is the easiest. I just kinda struck off through the woods and banged into it.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Have tented near the same spot at Nydiver. Good high altitude location in Ritter Range to base camp and capture early late light. Your day 3/4 route zone I have yet to visit so was nice to look at your views. Normally your date would be the peak of most wildflowers especially Pierson's paintbrush in turf areas, however 2019 was such a big snow winter that all was several weeks delayed however that gave you lots of flowering heather.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:08 pm I just kinda struck off through the woods and banged into it.
Yeah, the first time I came down from Nydiver (had got there via Whitebark Pass) I bumped into the trail by accident. Didn't know it was there. Coming from Shadow Lake, I did the same as you---just go where you think it's going to be and before long you'll cross it.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Maia,
I just caught this post and it's one of the best TRs I've seen! Fantastic! Thanks, Cameron