East Side TH access and exploring trip - Early season.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

East Side TH access and exploring trip - Early season.

Post by michaelzim »

Apologies if this posting somewhat dove-tails with Talimon's but my focus is different: Trip Advice: Early May, some cross-country and snow travel
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21380

I'm looking to do my first East Side trip in 30 years next week. Primarily to familiarize myself with the whole 395 corridor and just what the east side access is like. Driving times from where I live, plus from TH to TH; road access without 4-WD on less popular routes; general appearances of the mountains themselves; steepness of entries; potential for early season backpacking with less mosquitoes if looks like quick drying terrain; etc.
Am only interested in places south of McGee Creek TH access, and north of (but including) Onion Valley Road/Kearsarge.

I have only gone into the mountains from the west side since 1991 so all these fantastic Trip Reports I have read starting in places like LLV, Sabrina, Kearsarge, etc. are totally new to me. There is only so much I can do online and I want to check it out in reality so that I'm not blumbering around in summer tryin to figure it out. This could be a very, very short backpacking season as our current season-to-date rainfall here in Ukiah is even less than last year, and we all know how that turned out! My plan is to try and get some trips in before the "fire season" starts (which is here now as two controlled burns "escaped" already and got everyone pretty agitated about what's to come unless the heavens open in May).
Last year I also noticed that the east side was often smoke free for a week to 10 days while the west side was hugely smoked out. That off-desert east breeze kept it clear to a degree, so may give a possible window for short trips in from that side when the pressure cells are looking stable.

I have zero "spiky things" and do not want to get any. I am OK with some snow but not lots of it. No icy slopes. No mega river crossings. I know about post-holing, but do not want to make it a profession.
I had initially thought I would just do day-hikes from places like Rock Creek, Aspendell, Glacier Lodge Rd. etc. but with snow conditions melting off rapidly (maybe) I'm realizing I may be able to do some actual backpacking for a few nights and try out my new pack, clothing, gear, etc. That would be great - but being as I know nothing of the terrain am looking for tips and advice on that.

So herewith a very incomplete list of possible questions:

~ Any super day-hikes points of access or destinations at this time of year, that could give me good views and a feel for the summer terrain.
~ Suggestions for more snow free destination places to access and camp in for a few days - while I keep an eye on the weather!
~ Suggestions of "on the flat" quiet overnight car camping spots in places along the way but not in the mountains themselves.
~ [On that note a friend mentioned Buckeye Hot Spring (for driving in day as is further north) c/o lesser know road in to it].
~ Other hot springs secrets for semi-car camping after day-hiking. Recall one near Hot Creek sight-seeing in 1988 but no idea how found it.

OK, maybe I will leave it there as these questions are pretty generalized seeing as I don't really know what to expect, and that snow may be covering a lot of the ground. Any advice and suggestions most welcome!

Thank you ~ Michaelzim
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: East Side TH access and exploring trip - Early season.

Post by c9h13no3 »

michaelzim wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am I had initially thought I would just do day-hikes from places like Rock Creek, Aspendell, Glacier Lodge Rd. etc. but with snow conditions melting off rapidly (maybe) I'm realizing I may be able to do some actual backpacking for a few nights and try out my new pack, clothing, gear, etc. That would be great - but being as I know nothing of the terrain am looking for tips and advice on that.

So herewith a very incomplete list of possible questions:

~ Any super day-hikes points of access or destinations at this time of year, that could give me good views and a feel for the summer terrain.
~ Suggestions for more snow free destination places to access and camp in for a few days - while I keep an eye on the weather!
Early May is... early. There's probably no month with more change in the mountains than at that time. So you gotta watch the satellite & trip reports to see when things open up if you're not taking snow gear. And make sure there's no new snow in the last 3 days or so. Even if you don't travel on it, it can still avalanche on you from above. But this risk dissipates quickly after a few days.

I think 3rd Lake & the Temple Crag area are probably the first thing you should have on your list. The scenery is whiz-bang awesome, and I know it's pretty snow free now from all the skiers whining about how they keep their skis on their backs until 3rd lake.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: East Side TH access and exploring trip - Early season.

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks much @c9h13no3, plus for the fresh snow avalanche reminder. It's been a while since I went out in the white stuff.

I talked to a ranger at the Bishop station today and she supported your recommendation of Big Pine access to the numbered lakes. Also South Lake - which was less expected, as she said both those two areas melt off a lot quicker than Sabrina basin area. I had figured that big area west of North Lake might catch some early heat but apparently not. Thus have redirected my likely nights out to the Big Pine Lakes Basin as indeed it looks pretty spectacular on the topo.

Ta ~ Michaelzim