Advise please:Bear Dam to Vee Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advise please:Bear Dam to Vee Lake

Post by Love the Sierra »

Are Rose or Marie Lakes better options for camping?
Thanks!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:09 pm Are Rose or Marie Lakes better options for camping?
Thanks!
Depends on what you are looking for. Marie Lake is probably the best looking and eaiest to get to being on the JMT, but it is easy to get to and on the JMT, so you are normally sharing it with a lot of other hikers.
Snowfire
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snowfire »

When I drove it a few years ago in a pickup it wasn’t too bad, other than the sharp granite taking visible bites out of the tires. You can alternatively hike the Bear Creek Cutoff trail with the same permit.
I found the “trail”into Seven Gables Lakes had more questionable spots than within Bear Lakes Basin itself. The old topos warn against taking pack animals. It’s obvious where you need to go, just not which is the best micro route to get there. All I can suggest is that smallish low-angle talus usually is easier than a maze through the willows.
Lou Beverly Lake has good camping on the NE side. It’s also easy xc up to Three Island Lake and I thought quite scenic.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Road is still a "Bear," but with a high clearance 4x4 you will be fine. I just did a trip from Bear Diversion to Florence from 7/24 through 8/1, but my 2 wheel drive Pathfinder wasn't up to it. Or more accurately, I didn't push it after slipping my tires at about 1.2 miles in. We dropped our packs there, returned to the main road and walked from their. Its been years since I've been up the East Fork to Vee, but I don't recall it being overly difficult. Just some route finding up the canyon. We stayed at Seven Gables and explored from there. Lou Beverly has many good campsites and is beautiful. Makes a great spot to explore Sandpiper, Medley, and Three Island Lakes up canyon. The old Anglers Guide describes Three Island as a beautiful lake in a magnificent setting. Its very true. Rose and Marie Lakes also make good spots for exploring as well, but it will be a bit busier being right off/on the JMT. You really cant go wrong in that area. Have fun.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Thanks so much @Snowfire and @Troutdog 59 I was beginning to get discouraged and thought I may have to change plans or be doomed to stay on the PCT. It is such a shame that since that movie the PCT is so crowded with a bunch of yahoos that have no sense of trail etiquette or clean up! I really do try to avoid it now.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey, I wonder if you already went, and where you ended up going? I missed this post.
I hope you can get into Bear Basin one day. Since you don't like the sound of the Bear Cr. entry, I reckon that Italy Pass to Dancing Bear Pass in late summer is perhaps the easiest way in. It's either that, or via Pine Creek Pass to Lake Merriam, and then over West Feather Pass, right above LaSalle Lake. cgundersen says it is much easier than Feather Pass, and Feather is class 2 if you stay on route.
Re. Lake Beverly, I side with Lumbergh21:

Lumbergh21 wrote:
don't remember much about Beverly, as I just passed by it when I was up there a few years ago. Sandpiper Lake is pretty exposed, but I remember there being flat durable surfaces where you can set up a tent and it is beautiful in a stark open way.
We once camped at Beverly, and then when we had moved up toward Sandpiper, we cursed our decision, because a great view opens up, all the way to the best angle on Mt Hooper, and other mountain views. There is great country to explore all around that area, and over to Marie Lake. Marie is the closest thing to Thousand Island Lake's beauty, so even if you camp at quiet Three Island Lake, you could day hike to the east side of Marie to take in the scenery. We hope you have (or have had) a great trip. Ian and Lizzie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@Harlan, you missed my post and I missed your reply. No, we didn’t go because of the heat and smoke. Actually, due to the heat and smoke here in So Cal we really have not hiked and the forests, as you know, are closed. I am still hoping to go the frost week of October. Though, I know that I will need to modify it to a much easier route since we, my dog and I that is, have not had dirt under our feet now for too many months. SIGH, I used to love summer! Now it is a time for hiding out indoors during the day and doing stuff at night like a raccoon. I am planning to go to Three island and probably will do a day hike to Marie now since I think that is a less ambitious route than I had earlier planned when we were both in better shape from winter and spring hiking. Thank you so much!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Actually, since I am going in October, maybe I will get lucky and have Marie to myself! Thanks @Harlan, now that I know Marie is so beautiful, if it is not crowded, I may just stay on the PCT. Something easy will be great for us right now too. The. We can day hike up to Three Island. Maybe, we can take another layover day on the way back, camp near the junction to VEE and try to day hike and find our way there, scouting a trip for next year.
Terrific info, thanks again!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Since you were unable to make it this year, here is a link to a report of a trip I took there.
http://www.sierrahiker.com/BearLakes/index.html
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is great camping with great views at Marie Lake on the OPPOSITE side as the PCT. I have camped there twice and it is NOT crowded. JMT and PCT hikers will not get off the trail that far. Then you could easily day-hike to Melody other lakes.

Going up from the trail to Seven Gables is in my opinion not difficult due to terrain, but is a real puzzle to find the best route. You never get lost but micro-route finding is hard. I think you would be up to it. Just take your time and be patient.
Small_6001_MarieLk_Camp_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.