High Sierra backpacking:where to start?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
skyisbluee
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

High Sierra backpacking:where to start?

Post by skyisbluee »

I typically go to Yosemite for backpacking but would like to venture out now. Which hikes (2-3 days to begin with) would you suggest west of Mono Lake to Bishop?

Are there any books you all would recommend that perhaps can help in planning and choosing hikes.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra backpacking:where to start?

Post by wildhiker »

There are excellent 2 or 3 day trips in the Hoover Wilderness out of the Virginia Lakes or Green Lakes trailheads, just northwest of Mono Lake.
-Phil
bwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bwd »

Re books, I have gotten utility out of Sierra South [https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... erra_South] and the associated Sierra North.
tyoungberg
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tyoungberg »

Second wildhiker recommendations, some great shorter trips in Hoover. May also look into the areas south of mammoth (McGee, mono pass etc.) for some shorter hikes.
Yee the haw before the haw yees you
skyisbluee
Topix Newbie

Post by skyisbluee »

Awesome, starting points. Thank you all.
I looked at some photos of Dusy Basin area, man what a beautiful area that is. More time I spend online about High Sierra I feel like I want to do it all that too now :D
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

dont be afraid of out and back hikesfor short trips like that. the possibilities are endless and you cant really go wrong.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

I second the recommendation from bwd on "Sierra South" as a great guidebook for ideas for all of the Eastern Sierra trailheads.
I really like Lake Ediza and 1,000 Island Lake out of the Mammoth area as a 3 day hike
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Lots of lollipop loops and out and backs from the eastern side that are pretty awesome. The ones out of Mammoth are probably the simplest due to the bus system and other services in Mammoth itself. Dusy basin is pretty awesome as is Humphreys. You could hike to Iva Belle hot springs and back as a 3 day trip. You could do a hike up to Duck Lake then off trail along the crest to either Mono Pass or Deer Lakes, then back down to catch one of the Mammoth area bus lines (or the reverse direction, as I can't remember the order of the Lakes Basin bus stops) back too your car. A lot depends on how many miles and what elevation gain you are willing and able to do each day.

My favorite Sierra book wouldn't be much help for 2 to 3 day trips, but it could whet your appetite for a bigger adventure, The Sierra High Route by Steve Roper.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

skyisbluee wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:21 pm Awesome, starting points. Thank you all.
I looked at some photos of Dusy Basin area, man what a beautiful area that is. More time I spend online about High Sierra I feel like I want to do it all that too now :D
This is the easiest way to get started :). Look at pretty pictures, and decide to go there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
jfbruin34
Topix Novice

Post by jfbruin34 »

I'm pretty new to backcountry hiking in the High Sierra but thus far I've loved Onion Valley => Kearsarge Pass => Kearsarge Lakes (with many ways to extend) and just did Agnew Meadows => Thousand Island Lake => Garnet Lake => Shadow Creek this past weekend and it was EPIC. TR coming. Also summited Mt. Whitney as a one nighter and it was incredible, but def pushed us to our limits in terms of elevation and strenuousness. I've also been told multiple times over that Dusy Basin and Sabrina Basin are amazing areas to explore for 2-3 days.