TR: Wolverton to Roads End 8/10-17,2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Wolverton to Roads End 8/10-17,2021

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for another great trip report. Your reports are always so informative and entertaining, with lots of little details added to give the report more depth. I don't know how you get them out so quickly, though!
-Phil
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

cgundersen wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:44 pm I'm not convinced that Josephine is worth the effort of getting up there.
I'm with you, Cameron. Both times I've been there I've thought, "This sure is remote and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to see anybody up here, but it's just not worth the effort."
For some reason, the lakes on either side of Glacier Ridge never moved me.
It's nice to be able to say you have been there, but there are a lot of other places with great scenery and fishing that don't require that steep slog. For example, Sphinx Lakes which Daisy visited during this trip. The dozen or so times I've taken the trail up the west side of Sphinx Creek, it seemed easier with every trip.
For a report of a trip crossing Glacier Ridge, see:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/GlacierRidge/index.html

Here's a trip that includes my first visit to Josephine Lake:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/RoaringRiver/index.html
which includes a description of an encounter with a cougar.

For more info about the Sphinx Lakes, see:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/HighRouteSouth/index.html
http://www.sierrahiker.com/ThunderCol/index.html
Last edited by sekihiker on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago I did a day-hike to the east lakes on Glacier Ridge but hauling a pack up there to camp would be a lot of work. As you said, probably not worth the effort. I saw no evidence of fish in the east lakes. One strategy would be to leave gear and food (bear can) in Ranger Meadow and just take the minimum overnight gear up. I would think the sunset lighting on the cliffs above the eastern lakes would be quite pretty.

Josephine Lake is another story- a lot harder to get to, but probably a bit more scenic?

Time of year makes a big difference. Previously I had been to all my destinations early season or in high snow years, and the air was much clearer and the greenery more lush plus wonderful wildflowers. My trip this year reminded me of a late fall trip to Keweah Basin years ago, when I had to deal with smoke and a burned up looking landscape.

The upper lake right of the tent symbol, above Colby Lake, is stunning- I camped there a few years ago, so did not go up to it this year. It is worth the fairly small effort to get there.
Lake above Colby2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 am The upper lake right of the tent symbol, above Colby Lake, is stunning
The country east of Colby Lake on the west slope of Midway Mtn looked pretty stark to me when I went through it in 1999. I visited the area after bagging Centennial, Milestone, and Midway. I was focused on getting home and probably missed experiencing some lovely spots on the descent to Colby Lake.
See: http://www.sierrahiker.com/CentralGWD/index.html

PS: Several year later, I was packing up at the Marvin Pass trailhead. A couple of women walked off the trail and I asked them where they had been. They said they had gone to Colby Lake. I asked them, "Why?"
They said they had read a trip report online that had inspired them. Then they mentioned that the guy who had written it must be really weird because he had hiked the 20 plus miles from Colby Lake to Marvin Ps TH in one day.
I agreed, "Yeah. That's pretty weird all right."
I started thinking about what they had said and realized that maybe I was that weird guy. I confirmed it when I returned home and reread the above referenced report.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The large lake above this hidden lake IS very stark. I sort of stumbled on this lower lake; it has a nice grassy meadow at the outlet and some sparse timber. Here are a few photos.
IMG_7861.jpg
IMG_7874.jpg
IMG_7882.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:25 am I sort of stumbled on this lower lake; it has a nice grassy meadow at the outlet and some sparse timber.
Certainly a nice campsite with a fabulous backdrop which I guess must be Milestone Mtn. Thanks for sharing.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

You always wow me WD, with your amazing trips. This route is a great example. Love the report and photos. Among other things, Sphinx is one of my favorite areas and I always enjoy seeing the issue of which side of the creek to take, LOL.

Thanks for the spectacular TR!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Goodness two terrific trips in a row! I'd guess you were in prime hiking form after a short break from the Tunemah trip. You had such a neat combination of destinations that stitched together parts of three different trips I've taken to those areas and your report and photos bring back some nice memories.

My first trip into that area was in 1979 and my day 1 was exactly the same as yours, heading into Lake 10599. Me and my two hiking companions were young and partied a bit too hard. I remember dropping the pack at 10599 and going to climb up a bunch of unnamed summits. My two companions stayed behind and enjoyed some mushrooms and other elevating consumables. Unfortunately this led them to try to get a "full body tan" at 10600'. They were so fried on all sides of their body they couldn't find a comfortable way to sit or lie down. In 2002 I went out of Wolverton to Ferguson Creek Lakes to open up then up the wall of Deadman Cyn to some unnamed lakes on Glacier R before heading to Josephine on d3, then Colby on d4 (then Colby Pass, Triple Divide Pass then Lion L.-Tamarack etc).

Anyhow I went to the Sphinxes in 1999 in September from Road's End, getting to the lowest Sphinx on day 1. I attempted the east side of the drainage and it was pretty bad (brush). On day 4 (camping at S Guard on d2 and dayhiking Big Brewer and N Guard, then camping at the uppermost large lake on d3), we hiked out via the west side and found a decent use trail most of the way. It was indeed much nicer than the ascent route.

Regarding Josephine. Is it worth the effort to get there. It IS a really nice place, but the fish size isn't special (topped out around 12" in 2002; super abundant rainbows), and it does require a ton of work to get to. The Cloud Canyon side is really steep, too.

Anyhow I'm envious of you getting out on two such amazing trips in a row. Funny about being bummed for not too much off trail. That is how I felt this year for my Hoover-N Yosemite-Emigrant-Hoover trip. That trip had its charms because it was relatively mellow (and had outrageously good fishing), but whereas the off trail parts were fun, there weren't enough of them.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Desmondfit:
Test... Test ....Test...
I hope the Test was conclusive? You can remove the excess posts.

Anyhow, Daisy, what a nice route, and in a very different environment from the former trip to Blue Canyon/Tunemah. I envy your two great back to back routes , and of course, your great luck in seeing bears ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful country and as always your pictures did a great job capturing it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray