TR: Far Ridges for Tunemah ~ 7/29 - 8/7/21

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Ian @Harlen has already written up a fine descriptive report of the trip “Into the Blue” viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21863 so I will try and retain the style and mood of “A Ridge Too Far” to which this adventure was inextricably linked. I will try to not overlap similar photos, plus will add a few short video clips as I feel they give a closer sense of ‘being there’ than still images do. It’s a pity though that YouTube does not process them in high definition as the originals are much richer and sharper. So please use your ‘mountains imagination’ to enhance them to reality.

This story began in August 2018 when my daughter and I gazed south from the top of Red Mountain to see the glimmer of Martha Lake in the distance. I pulled out my map and pondered that far yonder terroir with increasing intrigue.
“Huh! Look at this…No trails anywhere beyond that lake. An ‘Empty Quarter’. It looks fantastic!”
“Golly dad, do you think we can make it that far?”
“I wonder who goes there? If the birds and creatures see many humans at all?”
“Dad…Do you think we could get there?”
“Uhhhhhhhhhhh…Not sure. Maybe just one of these places at most. Like this way cool looking area around Lake 10232. Or geeeeeez-Louise, what about Tunemah?! That is out there, big time.”
“Let’s do it! OK?”
“Sure sweetie…we can at least try. My bucket list adventure!”

2019 was wet. Mosquitoes and health issues kiboshed any trips.
2020 was the year to try, via Wishon and Coyote Pass. But a week before due to leave my daughter died. In her honour I attempted it alone, but my traditional 50+ pound pack, lack of ability to share some of the load, and “age” defeated me.
However, the trip report that ensued “A Ridge Too Far” viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20921 led to ‘meeting’ Ian @Harlen online with a subsequent year of emails and phone-calls culminating in the idea of a shared trip to this “Promised Land” in summer of 2021. However, this time for me, with a new goal of a maximum 35 pound starting pack.

Now if any of you have gone on back-packing trips with people you have never met it can be a recipe for disaster. From past experience I was not unaware of this. Plus got the sense that both Ian and I are definitely not “low key wallflowers” so the potential for “closeness conflict” was high. But I, and no doubt he too, took the risk and we went for it! Thank goodness, as indeed through goodwill and gentlemanly compromises on both sides, we survived and had a great trip.
My legs may have disagreed on innumerable occasions and for sure I was close to “fatigue delirium” by the end of most of the longer hike days. However, Ian never pushed me to move faster and always cognized my rapid decline near evening. On one occasion I was so plastered he had shouldered my whole pack on top of his to bring it to a potential campsite I was stumbling around trying to look for.
A true scholar and a gentleman!

Ian is also a bona fide full on “Mountain Man” – fearless of drop offs, cliffs, crazy ridges, treetops, etc. In addition he seems to know everything about the Sierras. @sekihiker has it right:
Plus you got to share the trip with Ian, a very amazing and knowledgeable hiker and mountaineer.
“Lodgepoles always have just two needles when you pull on them”…“Slopes look much harder from far away than closer up”…“Look for ramps and markers when assessing a route”…“Rocks up. Sand down”…These were just a few of the multitude of details I absorbed thanks to his commentary.
Birds, flowers, rocks, animals, terrain. All were intimately familiar. And much of it unfortunately slid through the sieve of my oft’ fatigued brain. I did not retain near as much as I would have liked, though a lot did stick - which will make my future trips so much more rewarding and easier!

Inspired and thankful for the many comments of support and encouragement c/o that 2020 trip report I was committed to trying again but this time via a Florence Lake entry. Being just a few weeks away from 71 the gentle grade and two days of trail all the way to Martha Lake would give me a chance to acclimate and wake my legs up to the distances and effort I would demand of them - which would be considerable!
Indeed this route proved to be a sound choice with a lot less “blood and brush”. With Ian insisting on carrying some items (later my tent too) my starting pack weight came in at 34 pounds. Much better than the insane 50+ pounds of my 2020 effort!

So, Goddard Canyon and Martha Lake. What gorgeous country. The Lupines were in full bloom and magnificent even in the cloudy grey overcast. Martha was desolately wild and dramatic with Mt. Goddard looming over all. A truly special place. Plus I finally saw my first Pikas! And tasted my first mountain trout. The latter being an example of one of the things I learned…that Golden Trout actually have the appearance of a rainbow in colouring, yet Rainbow Trout are kind of plain and not very colourful. Hmmmmm…these mysteries of the fishing fundis!

Speaking of rainbows, the coloured rocks in this area are something else. I was captivated by them – in all shades of green, purple, grey, reds, etc.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

Reinstein was the first of five cross-country passes (six if include Alpine Pass) we went over. Two of those were “unnamed” and only Reinstein was a there-and-back crossing. It seems like each had an easy side and a tricky side with some being more ‘tricky’ than others. In all my previous Sierra trips I have never crossed more than one such pass per trip, so this was definitely a change!

After Reinstein’s tricky south side we dropped into the stunning terrain of Lake 10232 and my first wish-list destination. It did not disappoint.
The waterfall cascades down the NE section of the basin are impressive and must be really something in a wet year. As Ian said @Wandering Daisy is the pro in this domain. The creeks tumble down to the lake itself which sits in a massive ¾ sided longitudinal bowl and sports the most beautiful coloured water.

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

We were sorely tempted to stop but continued into the Finger Peak basin in order to achieve our next goal the following morning via a ‘guess on the map’ pass crossing. Camping by lake 10,280 (new maps elev.) the light bathing the north side of Finger Peak was mesmeric.

3a.jpg

“Mercury Pass” (unnamed/unofficial) was our next adventure as from close study of the contours it offered a potential shortcut to Tunemah. Ian has written this up in his report, and indeed the first north-south saddle just NNE of Blue Canyon Peak was an easy up and over.

3b.jpg

The second part leading up and into the Tunemah basin proper had a more visceral personality. As you can see from the photos the upper section of the pass gets a bit steep and put me into more slippery terrain than I was used to.

4a.jpg
4b.jpg

This was some of the discourse near the top after Ian (above me) had nonchalantly said he was just going to “trust” that section and scrambled up it like a Hyrax…

“Uhhhhhh……Ian!”
“Don’t look down.”
“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh…….Sh*t!”
“Grab that rock…the bedrock one!”
“You mean this one? The one that moves when I pull on it? – Oh!..Uh-oh!...The one under my foot is sliding out too!”
“You’re doing great!”
“Uuhhhh-mmmmm…Ian, maybe…..maybe this is a little too much???”
“No, it’s fine. Just don’t look down!”

Once at the top I did look down and almost shat myself! If I had looked down when clambering up I would have frozen solid - or taken a moon shot.
I promptly turned to Ian and said: “100% dead serious here. There is NO WAY I am going back that way. ABSOLUTELY no way!”
He grinned of course, as for him it had been a mere walk in the park compared to his peak ridges and “playing with pretty wild exposure” - which is not referring to camera settings!
For those used to mountaineering I’m sure this was very ‘Ho-Hum’ stuff. For a mostly ex trail bum I was so shook up I forgot the video function on my camera as still photos do not do it justice. My body flatly refused to get too close to the edge as when I tried it felt like a Tesla grade vacuum cleaner was starting up in my belly. However, you can see from this tepid picture I did manage that you cannot even see the slope. That’s because it just drops off into the void down there!

5.jpg

To be fair though it looked like a 70 degree downward grade, but when I made an angle of the slope with my hands it was more like 45 degrees. And another of Ian’s adages was true: “Looking down it always looks much steeper than it really is”…Hrummph! Well even so, I was NOT going back that way.

CONTINUED...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

TR: Far Ridges for Tunemah ~ 7/29 - 8/7/21 = CONTINUED

So yep. Tunemah is pretty magical. “Granite bowl of blue” I think was the way Ian summed it up. This video clip gives some small sense of that and the deep quiet and isolation of the place.

VIDEO 1. Tunemah Lake = https://youtu.be/4Ku-JM5E2LQ

Be warned however. Tunemah itself likes its privacy. There are as good as zero places to camp that I could find, just some sharp vertical pointing shale/slate stuff that ate up my Polycro ground-sheet. True to his Muirish ease Ian can find a place to camp and sleep anywhere! While he was digging out a rough hole betwixt the rocks in full blasting sun with zero shade, I proclaimed with high definition that I was going down to the lower lakes to find a genuine flat spot.
Being the latter part of another long day and being an ignorant, very fatigued “Mizungu” (non native) I made the error of finding a camp spot on some sensitive plants. But Ian, being a highly trained ecologist, very graciously kept his peace when he discovered my sacrilege later. He had been fishing for a fine wodge of rainbow coloured, aka “Golden” trout.
While the fish were frying that ‘impressive’ sentinel peak loomed above us.

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

Our departure from Tunemah was supposedly via an easy and assured hike over Dykeman Pass into the upper Blue Canyon basin. From all reports it is a pass that can beguile one too far to the south, which in our case was to the left. Hence we stayed right. Excessively right (north). After all Ian had spied this route in its fully exposed glory the day before from the top of his eyrie on Tunemah Peak. What could go wrong? Ummmmmmm.....
Yep, you should know by now what that means.

By the time we had traversed some distance up the “shorter way” - which included a few places that triggered beginnings of ‘don’t look down’ overtones, I asked:
“Hey Ian, where’s that seductive lake that is meant to be just south of us by now?”
“Ummmmm…..”
“Yes?...What was that?”
“The top is just up here. We’ll see soon enough. You go first.”
And a short scramble later.
“Whooooah – Jayzzzzzzzz. This looks strange. It just drops off over here!”
“Ummmm……”
“Golly even Finger Peak looks all in the wrong place. And we’re missing some lakes too?! But the good news is you can actually see down this slope, so by definition it must be less steep than Mercury…blessed be a merciful God!”
*[See video – in which I meant to imply that video shots give a more realistic view of these drop-offs than still photos do…You decide!]

VIDEO 2. False Flag (False Dykeman) Pass = https://youtu.be/jNi9N3Fqn5Y

In the end our detour worked out fine though I called this “False Flag Pass” (unnamed/unofficial) as “Dykeman North” did not quite encompass all the fakery that Dykeman seems to put out to confuse travelers. One is meant to use the north dip in the greater Dykeman saddle so calling this “Dykeman North” might add even more to the potential confusion. Seemingly however, we have now added yet another false pass to the deceptive repertoire!

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

This was probably the easiest hiking day of all as we had a delicious swim then made camp at the upper lake due to the presence of observable (and catchable) fish. I did my karmic duty of bonking a bunch of them with a rock as if I was going to eat them I needed to fess up to the whole process. The light was captivating. The fish delectable.

Blue Canyon Peak and Finger Peak are very different from each other but both spectacular.

8a.jpg

8b.jpg

Ian of course bombed up Finger before breakfast, while I lazed around and groked the magnificent panorama.

VIDEO 3. Blue Canyon basin = https://youtu.be/oymrEWhkoW4

I made a tepid foray towards Mantle Pass but did not get far as decided to conserve my energy for Blue Canyon Pass later that morning. Experience had taught me by now that not all things are straightforward when it comes to passes!

9.jpg

This was a wise decision as our goal of Lake 10232 was not that far on the map, but seemed to take forever. Banks of flowers soothed the trek and presaged that lush valley just to the south of 10232.

10a.jpg

10b.jpg

CONTINUED...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

TR: Far Ridges for Tunemah ~ 7/29 - 8/7/21 = CONTINUED

Early the next morning I was startled by a sound. What looked like a bear was half way up one of the huge conifers next to our camp. With the strong backlight I could not see it that well and was about to yell: “Ian, a bear finally!!!” Then noticed what distinctly looked like an arm groping for a branch.
Indeed, this was a classic example of some of the more entertaining aspects of my hiking companion. The photos tell all!

11a.jpg
11b.jpg
11c.jpg

Leaving 10232 we had to navigate Reinstein’s tricky side (the south) and I discovered the ease with which I could get successively “cliffed out”. I tried my damndest to stay left and up but the terrain kept feeding me to the right. In the end I made it and joined Ian at the top as he had kept more true to the green grass “markers” we had decided to fix on before starting. We wallowed in the view for a long time as this was our last pass before dropping to Martha and thence trail-land again.
Martha’s wild magic was no less so on the return and some local Ptarmigans let us get very close.

12.jpg

As we skirted the west shoreline the first people we had seen in seven days began to arrive (a big Outward Bound group) which implied it was time to continue heading down-range and make mileage into Goddard Canyon.
It was another long hike day for me but as ever Ian honoured my evening siren song of: “Ummmmmmmm”…followed by “I think we’d better find a camp before I fall over.” And presto, he would conjure one up out of thin air. Thank god!

The last day, hiking out to catch the ferry at Florence was ‘interesting’.
We agreed to get up early so we could put in a good pace and make the 3:00 pm afternoon ferry. Given the distance (approx. 13.5 miles according to Caltopo), if we were really lucky we might just make the 1:00 pm ferry so that we could drive back in daylight. But the 3:00 pm one seemed more realistic to me.
The reality was, we left late at 6:35 am and arrived at the Florence ferry pier at 11:45 am.
Yep. Do the numbers…5 hours and 10 minutes.
There is only one way that could happen.
Yep. We were “chalanking” to use an old Zim slang term. That of course in plain English means going bloody fast!
By the Piute bridge my shoulders were falling off and Ian offered to take my whole pack if needs be! I was tempted. Though did unload a fair bundle onto him. He does not seem to notice it (sigh!) and it enabled me to keep up that pace and surprise myself. But golly I was stiff for the next week. Or thought I was stiff. What I think really happened was that my leg muscles doubled in size over the 10 days and the skin got all tight and uncomfortable. My dermal stretch is ‘fossilizing’ too with age and it balked at the rapid expansion! Or something…..All to say, it was a helluva fast hike out and we did manage to drive out in daylight. A daylight showing the first traces of smoke that we had managed to miss entirely.

Indeed, my bucket list dream was fulfilled, for not only 10232 but also Tunemah and the Blue Canyon basin. It was a helluva good trip.
I sure hope my daughter was watching.

Best ~ Michaelzim
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Far Ridges for Tunemah ~ 7/29 - 8/7/21

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Michael,
Thanks for filling in some of the bits Ian left out. One does get the impression that he performs superhuman feats of physical and mental exertion that leave mortals gasping. I had no problem filling in the pixels missing in the videos. And, my wife shares your appreciation of exposed climbs. As long as she doers not have to look down, she's fine. We try to arrange routes so that we're climbing the hard side of XC passes and descending the cakewalks.......it does not always work that way, so she's learned to squawk when things get beyond the pale. Anyway, as I've said before, I'm green with envy that you guys made it into that untrammeled sector of the Sierra. Bucket list for me, too. What a great trip with afterburners smoking the final day. Cheers, Cameron
PS. Your notion that the fires have chased off lots of the big mammals resonates for me.......whatever the reason, it's a bit sad!
tyoungberg
Topix Acquainted

Post by tyoungberg »

Not many trip reports will make your eyes water like that. Great report and awesome trip! Happy you got to check it off your list and now it’s been added to mine!

Cheers
Yee the haw before the haw yees you
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Thanks for writing another excellent TR. It's great that you were able to reach the areas you had been hoping for last year. Of all your photos, I especially enjoyed the ones of the tree-climbing wildlife.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Great to see your report on the epic trip from your point of view. I'm so glad you reached those bucket list destinations. They are indeed really special, even for the most jaded High Sierra hiker.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for filling in your side of the story. It was quite the epic trip.
Best Wishes on future adventures.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Great pics!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was waiting for your trip report and totally missed it. Too bad we did not run into each other. I am glad you finally made your goal.