Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ericmcornelius
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

Post by ericmcornelius »

Just an FYI for everyone.

Love to hear thoughts from other knowledgeable people here.

Everything I've read indicates that standard trail day use is responsible for effectively 0 fires, but this precedent of arbitrary pre-emptive forest closure concerns me greatly.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

Post by tomba »

On recreation.gov I saw available permits go to 0 for all trailheads after today. I see https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... EPRD949148.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We have never had conditions so dry in parts of the forests, so past experience of day-users is not necessarily relevant. Just parking a car on dried grass could start a fire. All fire fighting resources are being used on fighting current fires. I expect that this is a big factor in a blanket closing forests. If a fire did start, who is going to fight it? The health impact of smoke may also be a factor in the decision.

I am just waiting to see if the National Parks and State Parks, and BLM also close everything. Had an Inyo permit 9/6-16. Wonder if the Lost Coast would be open (BLM and state park).
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

It is all NF in Region 5 now. Toiyabe NF is not in R5 so is not covered by the order. There is a sunset date of 9/17 on the order, but expect that to be extended as the date nears, barring any wet weather to alleviate the fire danger.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

ericmcornelius wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:41 pm Just an FYI for everyone.

Love to hear thoughts from other knowledgeable people here.

Everything I've read indicates that standard trail day use is responsible for effectively 0 fires, but this precedent of arbitrary pre-emptive forest closure concerns me greatly.
In 32 years of my career with the FS, I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of fires started by a recreational day hiker. IIRC they were all smoking related. So if you don't smoke, there is a close to zero chance of an accidental fire start of from a recreational day user. But other uses are a danger, also. Recreational target shooting, OHV, woodcutting with a chainsaw, etc.

The order mentions the risk of entrapment as a reason.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

ericmcornelius wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:41 pm Everything I've read indicates that standard trail day use is responsible for effectively 0 fires, but this precedent of arbitrary pre-emptive forest closure concerns me greatly.
Yeah, this strikes me as a bit of an over-reach as well. But I understand it, can't say it concerns me greatly. I'd just hope that after a few years of this routine, they'll figure out a way to intelligently lower the fire risk without halting all access to public land. The National Park service and BLM don't do this kind of thing.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just got three e-mails from Reserve.gov/Inyo. They refunded the total permit cost. Third e-mail said I requested a cancelation, I did not. I wonder if that is what they have to do in order for the Reserve.gov system to give a refund.

c9- are you sure that NPS and BLM will not close? What is your statement based on? Just curious because if I could be sure this were so I would try for one of their permits.

So what if you have already driven to your Inyo trailhead, and plan to start tomorrow? Are they going to block the trail? My husband had heard that earlier when the Tahoe and Eldorado forests closed, they turned hunters (bow hunters) back from the trailheads and they get NO refund of their deer tags. I think those are a bit more expensive than backpacking permits. Not sure if this is true or just a rumor.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

On hunting: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Subscribe/c/116 ... #lcpreview

Waterfowl season looks even worse with the lack of water.
redbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by redbear »

I know many people here might think otherwise and I might get ridiculed, but this state and the country as a whole slowly but surely turning into a nanny state our founding fathers would be ashamed of. Show me the evidence of one wildfire started by a hiker/backpacker/climber. I bet there are none. Bureaucrats at all levels starting to feel empowered by the events of last year and they ALWAYS know better what's good for an individual and society in general. Liberty to make your own decisions, take risks and be responsible for your own actions will soon be things of the past in all aspects of our lives. Sadly it's our own fault...
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Is it a bummer it’s happening? Yes. Am I shocked or concerned? Nope. When what little resources the USFS has to fight fires and manage recreation are already stretched thin due to other (extreme) fires, it doesn’t leave a ton of options. Not saying this will prevent anything, but it could help…