Trip Report: Convict Creek- Smoky to Clear, Dogs and Fish: Aug. 26-30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Convict Creek- Smoky to Clear, Dogs and Fish: Aug. 26-30

Post by SSSdave »

SW08601-08624-4x1vy.jpg
(mouse select to enlarge)

Small section of valley bottom where the standard Baldwin route crosses atop the bench left to right. Note at the cliff face, the small stand of quaking aspen.

SW08601-08624-4x1v-cr1.jpg
A bit further south at valley bottom end at the zone I like best with interesting gravels rocks.

SW08601-08624-4x1v-cr2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for clarifying the Hornfels. Sounds like it can be a "fine-grained metamorphic rock" of varying composition.

As for the rattlesnakes in the Sierra, they would likely be Crotalus oreganus oreganus, the Northern Pacific rattlesnake. "Timber rattlesnakes," Crotalus horridus, are found in the east. See below.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/p ... ganus.html
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Fun report. The smoky pics look like Mars.
generalelectrix
Topix Novice

Post by generalelectrix »

We entered this basin from the pass SW of Bloody Mountain and camped at Cloverleaf Lake as a base camp. The ridgeline E of Lake Dorothy is a fun way to return from the high lakes and has fantastic views of Baldwin and the Convict Creek meadows. Such a beautiful area.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

GE, you are dead right about that ridgetop view. You too must've been hiking along it in the late afternoon light. This is another shot of Wolfie from up on that ridge looking east.

100_1503.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
generalelectrix
Topix Novice

Post by generalelectrix »

Indeed!
cc.JPG
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Harlen wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:49 pm "Timber rattlesnakes," Crotalus horridus, are found in the east.
Thanks, Ian. The ID was made using my memory banks, probably based on a Boy Scout handbook.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Report: Convict Creek- Smoky to Clear, Dogs and Fish: Aug. 26-30

Post by SNOOOOW »

Great photos as always, Thanks Ian. I am heading up convict canyon in about 10 days but am now wondering if I should wait until later in the year to make crossing the creek easier. I haven't been up that creek since Nov of '05 and these photos are making me extra excited. I love how that little Pomeranian treks all around the back country. I will leave my little guy at home so I can scramble up a few summits without worrying about his paws. Thanks for sharing.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Report: Convict Creek- Smoky to Clear, Dogs and Fish: Aug. 26-30

Post by Harlen »

...I am heading up convict canyon in about 10 days but am now wondering if I should wait until later in the year to make crossing the creek easier.
Hey SNOOOOW, I just now returned from a trip in which I too was worried about a creek crossing-- in this case, it was Mono Creek at the junction with Mills Creek. Not sure how the two areas compare, but we were able to cross easily, without danger even late in the afternoon. My guess is, that in a weird year like this, the creeks are running lower than we might expect, and the crossings will be less hard and dangerous.

I really hope you get into that magical, colorful land, and have a great time. Cheers, Ian.