Mineral King intel: late-night arrival

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mineral King intel: late-night arrival

Post by neil d »

Hi, my sixth choice in my progression of possible backpacking trips to avoid forest closures and wildfire smoke lands me in Sequoia NP next week for four nights out of Mineral King.

It's about a six hour drive for me and I'd like to get down there the night before to acclimate and get an early start. The ranger station is pretty adamant about no overnight 'roadside squatting' for backpackers and I get it, but I'd really not like to spend $25 for a campsite that I will only use for about 7 hours. I'd really like to pull off the road somewhere (about midnight) and sleep in the back of my truck. Never been to Mineral King so don't know the lay of the land. Think I could get away with the bandit camp, or should I just spring for the campsite?

Cheers,

N.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Mineral King intel: late-night arrival

Post by balzaccom »

Spring for the campsite.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Keep in mind that the road to Mineral King is a slow road, full of narrow curves and hills and loose surfaces. It's not a fun road.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Keep in mind the the northern rim of the Walkers Fire is just 3 miles away, and there are trail closures still in effect. Check the forecasts for the wind direction before you head out.
Area Closures In Sequoia and Kings Canyon Wilderness

Due to fire impacts from the Walkers Fire, the following areas are temporarily closed to the public:
• The Tar Gap Trail from Mineral King to Hockett Meadow.
• The Atwell Mill Trail from Atwell Mill Campground to Hockett Meadow.
• The South Fork Trail from Garfield Grove to Hockett Meadow.
• The general area (as shown on the Walkers Fire map) beginning from the southern boundary of Sequoia National Park at Falcon Peak, generally northwest along the ridgeline to White Chief Peak, Hengst Peak, west along the ridge to the intersection of the Atwell Mill Trail and the Tar Gap Trail, generally south along the plateau to the South Fork Trail west of Hockett Lakes, generally south to the park boundary just east of the Touhy Trail (excluded), east and then north back to Falcon Peak.

The Dillonwood area wilderness area closure in Sequoia remains in effect, due to impacts from the SQF Complex fires.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Wow, thanks Mav! That fire was not at all on my radar. Luckily we are going northeast of Mineral King, away from the closure. But that fire is only two miles south of MK! Luckily 82% contained and it looks like the northeast flank is coming under control.

I was briefly on the phone with the ranger station yesterday and there was no mention of air quality, though I didn't ask. There is an air sensor in MK...looks like pretty good air quality over the last week plus, all below 50 with only a few spikes to about 65, so hopefully that holds.

Still holding a Yosemite permit as a backup...if both options get canceled due to smoke, I give up!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hmmm. And I couldn't get a Yosemite permit because they were completely full...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

balzaccom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:00 am Hmmm. And I couldn't get a Yosemite permit because they were completely full...
I intend to release one of the two permits this weekend, if the implication is that I'm selfishly keeping someone else out of the backcountry...
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I think that was the implication.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
terraelise
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by terraelise »

Sorry, your trip is a no-go:

Generals Highway Closes Throughout Sequoia National Park, Beginning 7 pm, September 12
Due to wildfire activity, the Generals Highway is closed from the Sequoia National Park entrance in Three Rivers to just south of the Grant Grove area in Kings Canyon National Park. The Mineral King area is also closed. Kings Canyon National Park is open.
RE: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I have tried twice to get near Center Basin this year, while be wary of smoke, but a forest closure canceled the first and now with these fires meaning likely more smoke and too little emergency resources (and all unaffected areas assumed more crowded) I'm assuming the next try this weekend also canceled. This September sucks, though more concerned about bears, fragile areas, and crews. <3