Yosemite Permit Reservation System For 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Permit Reservation System For 2022

Post by balzaccom »

rlown wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:42 pm Every option occurs to me. Given the current system and if you have limited time to visit, go the all the permits you can get as Plan A and Plan B.

If you can change the system, have at it!
that's exactly what I am hoping my comments to YNP will do.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Since when has anyone at YNP listened to anyone.. sigh.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

I don’t care about the switch. It may be better. The problem I have is driving into the valley, parking, walking a 1/2 mile to have a ranger go over the same speech every time I pull a permit. I usually end up having to spend a zero day, before starting my hike the next morning.

I liked the zoom meeting much better!
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra Miguel »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am it is really stupid to have to call to have them hold your permit past 10AM. Who can predict traffic and drive to the permit station before 10AM? Why not back that up to noon?
The policy makes sense when people are standing in line at 10am to get your unused permit. As I recall, they're quite flexible about when you can call. I think you can call a day or two ahead of time, if you even think you might be late.
balzaccom wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 pm recreation.gov should have some kind of software to prevent people from making multiple reservations for the same date, which ties up those resources from anyone else.
Easy to circumvent: Buy two prepaid debit cards, create two e-mail addresses.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Sierra Miguel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm
balzaccom wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 pm recreation.gov should have some kind of software to prevent people from making multiple reservations for the same date, which ties up those resources from anyone else.
Easy to circumvent: Buy two prepaid debit cards, create two e-mail addresses.
Try that with a campground reservation and see how it works. You are required to present an ID with your name and photo. And that is tied to the reservation.

Could you make a reservation for yourself, and another for your wife? Yes. There is always some way around the rules. But this would limit the kind of abuse I see in the campgrounds...and hear about on the trails.

I think it is quite sad that people are prevented from using our park facilities because other continue to overbook them.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra Miguel »

balzaccom wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:28 am You are required to present an ID with your name and photo. And that is tied to the reservation.
So your proposal is to prohibit two reservations under the same name on the same day? two John Smiths can't book on the same day? That sounds D.O.A.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Sierra Miguel wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 am
balzaccom wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:28 am You are required to present an ID with your name and photo. And that is tied to the reservation.
So your proposal is to prohibit two reservations under the same name on the same day? two John Smiths can't book on the same day? That sounds D.O.A.
Your permit would not be issued to your name like it has been but to your account with the permit company.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

One of the things that I do like with the current system is the fluidity. If you pay attention to the Yosemite site and others like this one you get to hear about things like early openings and other NP changes that you can take advantage of if you are ready to apply. With the Rec .gov site I don't think that will be possible going forward. You also won't be able to call and make minor adjustments to you permit or itinerary by talking to some nice/helpful FS permit office employee. I have had some very nice FS people bend over backwards to accommodate my trips.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
syph3r
Topix Newbie

Post by syph3r »

In general I've found it much easier to use recreation.gov for reserving permits than having to print and fax paper forms, so in my opinion this is an improvement.

If there's really a problem with overbooking it seems like it could be easily solved just by issuing more permits.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

syph3r wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am .

If there's really a problem with overbooking it seems like it could be easily solved just by issuing more permits.
That would kind of defeat the entire purpose of the quota system wouldn't it?
-- Lionel Terray