TR: Sixty Lake Basin etc 9/2-9/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sixty Lake Basin etc 9/2-9/11

Post by sekihiker »

michaelzim wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 am I did stumble onto a small flock of Bighorn Sheep
Wow! Did you get his autograph?
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

@mcgenes Apologies, do not want to distract from your post but I guess we were in same areas at similar time and there seems to be a wildlife interest. Am presuming you did not see these impressive creatures due to lack of any mention. My guess is they were wandering from their base in the Bighorn Sheep Preserve a bit further east.
sekihiker wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:08 am
Wow! Did you get his autograph?
So to end up on this one...No 'autograph' as the ram was clearly going to defend his harem (about 5 ewes) who were far more skittish and kept hiding behind bushes. This is the best photo I got of them. My African youth exploits of 'freeze and move slowly' went into play as I had no doubt the ram would defend if threatened.

Skittish ewes kept hiding:
DSC02097 - A.jpg
Best ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

michaelzim wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 am On the wildlife aspect, I did stumble onto a small flock of Bighorn Sheep (upper 60 Lakes Basin), with emphasis on big horns!
A group of bighorn sheep is generally referred to as a herd.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Sixty Lake Basin is a real gem. The contrast between the Basin and Rae Lakes astonishes me. The one gets few travelers and the other is crowded with JMTers, yet they are only a couple of miles apart.
mcgenes
Topix Acquainted

Post by mcgenes »

@michaelzim No worries! I am jealous...I have never seen a bighorn sheep in the backcountry (yet).
@Pi@Pietro257 I had the same thought and was grateful...It was so nice to have the Basin to ourselves and yet surprising given its proximity to Rae Lakes.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and photos!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bighorn sheep cannot read signs that say they should stay in their "preserve". I have see them several places but never got a close-up photo like that! Amazing.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Sounds like a great trip. I'm jealous that you got to have Charlotte Lake all to yourself. I thought it was beautiful but way too crowded the one time I stayed there. 60 Lakes Basin was also beautiful, but I did not have to share that with anyone, a very nice contrast to Rae Lakes :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

At all these alpine lakes mentioned, one only has to share such lakes if suffering from lakeitis or trailitis. Each time I've backpacked there, easily sited well away from trails and lake edges with no others within hollering distance. Vast empty areas with almost all groups in predictable village zones. Challenge me and I can easily indicate such areas on a topo.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

60 Lakes Basin lakes are "frog" lakes. Fish have been removed. I observed gillnets a while back in one lake. On a late season trip 2011 I found this little lake up off-trail a short distance, below Mt Cotter. Also some nice lakes up off the trail on the way to Gardiner Basin.
12_Lkbelow_cotter_Small.jpg
Also saw mountain sheep on that trip. On my way back when I went up to Window Lake.
18_MtnSheep.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.