What are your favorite lakes in the Sierra?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: What are your favorite lakes in the Sierra?

Post by c9h13no3 »

SSSdave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 pm Members here on HST post on threads to share, inform, request information, and participate within a useful and pleasant gregarious respectful community. Most of the experienced members are not here for ego, status, or strokes, nor to show off, though such is the game in some other web forums especially those with juvenile vibes.
This is getting a bit off topic, so maybe a kind mod can probably split this off. But why do you think you post here? Why do you want to inform others? What do you get out of it?

The best example of this is poker forums. Educating & informing other poker players costs you money, not debatable. But check out 2+2 or cardschat.com, and you'll find millions of threads giving advice. The advice giver gains a sense of identity, status within the community. It is human nature.

This place is no different. Why do you tell people where pretty lakes are? Because giving advice makes you feel good, raises your status in the community. Deny it all you want, but all social circles are the same. Whether it's chemistry, gambling, skiing, deviant art, or any other circle I've run in, this is a fundamental way humans behave.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Stay on topic please, start another thread to discuss any alternative topics, any further, off topic posts, will be deleted from this thread.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Dardanelles Lake (Big Meadow Trailhead - South Lake Tahoe). Lots of granite. Also, most people go to Round Lake so it's quiet.
Twin Lakes (Summit Trailhead in Sequoia NF). Grassy, forested and peaceful. Wet years are the best.
Lower Boy Scout Lake (Mountaineer's Route - Mt Whitney). May be tiny, but mornings are divine. The light on the granite especially.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

c9H13no3- why don't you contribute to this thread and tell us some of YOUR favorite lakes? rather than just be an armchair critic? You have piqued my curiosity regarding your lakes- a few photos would be great.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:50 am c9H13no3- why don't you contribute to this thread and tell us some of YOUR favorite lakes? rather than just be an armchair critic? You have piqued my curiosity regarding your lakes- a few photos would be great.
I haven't seen enough. Of the ones that got >2 votes, I've only seen 6 of those. I was surprised that 2nd lake under Temple Crag hasn't gotten more than 1 vote, as that's been the vista that impressed me the most so far. The lakes around Mammoth are also up there (1K island, Ediza, Minaret, Garnet). But the Southern Sierra I've barely visited, so armchair criticism is all I've got. I still think if you made the responses anonymous you'd have gotten totally different answers.

I'm a pretty bad photographer, but here's a photo, cuz you asked.
IMG_0012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Maverick! Happy new hiking year! I had a list compiled, but alas! They were all in Golden Trout Wilderness, John Muir Wilderness and Hoover Wilderness.
Wanted to say hi anyway!
Hi Deena, same to you! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hey Adrenaline,
That's not a bad shot. I think there is still a post "show us your back side" or something like that. We all have shots of our partners back sides.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Love the lake near top of Gabbot Pass (Is is Mills Lake?):
13603329_10154278067314328_4221087970310303768_o.jpg
Ediza Lake (I think):
36188409_10156447803979328_8446450347504828416_o.jpg
And certain lakes where I find these guys cruising the shore:
13603245_10154278070769328_9130053252884207671_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.