Forum Trip: Telescope Peak dayhike on May 20th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Looks like a friend of mine will be joining us on Sunday for those of us doing Wildrose. She'll probably drive up Sunday morning from Tehachapi.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

4 of us Saturday and 5 on Sunday.

We should probably try to get on the trail by 8am, 9 at the latest.

Road is clear to Mahogany Flats.

Report from May 7th: The trail to Telescope was free of snow from the trailhead to Bennett, after which snow is increasingly deep and soft, and melting fast.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Trail Bud and I are thinking about staying near the summit of Telescope on Sat Night. Light packs, bivouac style. Great morning photos.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Are you planning to camp on the ridge?
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Im not sure where we will camp, were going lite, tarp tent etc.
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Radois

Post by Trail Bud »

I have FRS radios (walkie talkie) they have a 5 mile range. If anyone else is going to bring them let me know what channel you want to use. give a alternate ch. too, just in case of noise.

Also, Trekker it should be cooler up high, that's my reason for going up to sleep. The temps are running 75 at night with temps reaching up to 114 in the day.

We plan on being on the trial head around 9am.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Arcane Meadows is a little over 2 miles from the start, between Rogers and Bennett. I think there were rocks built up there to block the wind. I don't remember any other places to camp up there. Maybe at the Eagle Spring cutoff just before it gets steep? I don't remember any flat spots at the summit.

I'm packed except for the food!

FSR channel 10.10 and alternate 6.0
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

SN.....I sure wished I could have joined you all on this one :(
You all have a fun and safe adventure :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

MiT, join us on the next one!

Ridgeline/Trailbud . . . you might want to stop at the ranger station on the way and ask about an overnight permit. You don't need one for a dayhike, but probably need one if you're doing an overnighter. I think the ranger station is just before Charcoal Kilns.

Here's some mileages that I found in my notes to get there.

Torrance to Mojave: 106 mi
Mojave to 128 turnoff = 22 mi, turn right
13 mi to fork in road, take left one
8 mi to 395N turn left
3 mi to Searles Station Rd, turn right
6 mi to Trona Road, Turn left
8 mi to Hwy 178, turn right
46 mi to Panamint Valley Road intersection, go straight* to Wildrose Canyon. Its kind of a long drive on a dirt road. You'll pass a little picnic area on the left (just a picnic bench, I think), and shortly after the road veers right and you'll connect to another road. Continue straight and a campground will be on the left. Ranger station will be on the right. Charcoal Kilns is about 1/4 mi past.

*Going left will take you to to Hwy 190 in 14 mi.

See you tomorrow night! We'll be arriving ~midnight. (:)

Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

permit/weather

Post by Trail Bud »

I called the ranger station and did a overnight permit over the phone. Thanks for the advice.
He mentioned that weather should be good with the chance of thunder storms late Sunday afternoon. So we should be OK for the hike.
If we don't see each other at the trail head let's talk by radio in the morning. I'll keep mine on after 9am if we miss everyone.