Harrison Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
millertime
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Harrison Pass

Post by millertime »

Thanks for this. I found that album a while back but couldn't find it recently and all the links for Harrison in the Cross Country Passes section are dead, though there is plenty of info scattered around this forum and backpackinglight. I'll be ascending from the north side of the pass myself early August.

From what I gather I doubt there will be much snow on it this year, especially come august, and if there is I would expect it to be avoidable. If it has too much snow my backup plan is to use Ericsson.
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

I was at the top of Harrison on July 6th and decided not to descend it. While snow free, it looks sketchy and was beyond my tolerance for risk. A fall in the top 30 feet seemed possible, if not probable. Visualize your typical avalanche chute. Scoured with no foot prints or hint of a trail on the face. Steep with barely a loose hold for purchase. No thanks. I diverted over Forester.

I wonder if winter avalanches haven't made this pass more dangerous.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

During the mid 90s I was talking to the McClure Meadow ranger about various things and the subject of Lucy's Foot Pass came up. He claimed that a rockslide had changed it from class 2 to 3. So these things do happen.
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Thanks norcalhiker for that input. Did you take a look at Ericsson pass while you were up there?
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

We stood in the area of Ericsson Pass, but we weren't looking for it. We were just checking out the view. It seemed sheer. I didn't notice a pass over there.
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Got it. I may divert to Little Joe's Pass which I know will be ok instead of Harrison. Your report and something I read elsewhere makes me hesitant to even want to mess with it anymore.
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

Just looked at photos of Little Joe's. Photos don't tell the whole story, but it sure seems easier than what I saw at Harrison.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

norcalhiker wrote: Little Joe's...sure seems easier than what I saw at Harrison.
Harrison may look harder, but it is certainly much shorter than Little Joe. It is possible to get off route on Little Joe, which makes it as hard or harder than Harrison.
Best Wishes in this area which is one of my favorites.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

little joe is easier from top to bottom.
from the top, the descent route is an obvious straight shot to reflection.