Granny does Roper's High Route IV

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Granny does Roper's High Route IV

Post by longri »

It isn't about rock climbing. It's about him becoming mellow or flowery. Forty is young in terms of the steady decrease in testosterone that turns some men into androgynous softies in their later years.

I'm happy Roper wrote his books. But at the same time I've never liked his writing style. I had to struggle to read Camp 4. It's not a question of whether it matters or not, it's just my opinion.

When I first thought of walking the whole SHR in one go I considered distilling his book, extracting just the pertinent details on the route-finding, and leaving all the other stuff behind. But he weaves the route descriptions and history/flora/geology together too tightly. It's bonded to the narrative. So I gave up on the project. But if it were available I'll bet it would be popular.

Some guidebooks take the approach of including the history, etc. in the introduction or appendices. Or as sidebars to the text. I'd have preferred he did that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am bumping this up because Harlen wants to look at it.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I will read it directly. I got a start, then looked ahead to see if you included one of your route maps, which I appreciate, and envy you and others for- how do you get those topos into a TR? I found no map this time, but then I got started on the comments section, and the interesting critique of Roper's style. Now I'll get back to your High Route trip Nancy. Thanks for putting this back up.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here are the maps. South to north, Roads End to North Lake. I use the old TOPO program for maps, export as jpg, then use Photoshop to reduce the size to fit the 2mb limit. This is the route I did, not necessarily "THE" route.
RHR_17_Small.jpg
RHR_16_Small.jpg
RHR_15_Small.jpg
RHR_14_small.jpg
RHR_13_small.jpg
RHR_12_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Thanks a lot for that great TR Nancy. I have been visiting it each night, with the map and book in hand, and then with your own route maps too- thanks again. There are some fine photos included too, but do you realize that "PhotoBucket" is pasted over them? I love the look of the route, and I like your deviations. I imagine you have also made side trips to Dumbell Lakes on other trips, or perhaps came to them from Cataract Creek, or another route--Taboose Pass- Cartridge Pass- to Cataract Cr., and back around through Mather Pass? However one gets there, it sure seems worth it. Don't know when I'll get there-- Bearzy will have to miss out though won't he? Damn! Maybe Bear can become my Service Dog to help me with anxiety? I don't really have much anxiety though. What about this: I need the dog to calm the anxiety I feel whenever I take a dog into a National Park illegally? Do you think most rangers would accept that? oldranger Mike? [-X I didn't think so, Ranger Clouseau perhaps?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.