Worst - or Best - Pass in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Worst - or Best - Pass in the Sierra

Post by Jimr »

My favorite is Finger Col.
hisierra2.JPG
hisierra9.JPG
I'm not much of a peak bagger, but I LOVE passes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The worst passes are those that you go over once and are glad to be alive and hope to never go over them again - unsafe passes that you can die on. Loose large talus is at the top of my list. As is unstable steep snow. Snow Tongue, Skypilot Col, Pyra Queen, Sluggo and White Bear.

The best passes are spectacular, safe, great exposure made safe with good trail construction or nature's construction - cleaver ledges through seemingly impossible terrain. The pass to Whitney (sorry can't remember its name- trailcrest??), Keweah Gap (west side tunnel is cool), Thunderbolt Pass (cleaver ledges on south side) and spectacular view of Palisades.

Passes that I simply did not like due to miserable loose rock, scree or sand (but relatively safe) - Longley, Nancy, Sawtooth, Pants Pass, Gabbot, Avalanche (false summits)

Passes that I simply like - Taboose, Kesearge, Elizabeth, Italy
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Re: Tom's previous note:

I call the pass above Virginia Lakes "Frog Lakes Pass." By the little ice-fed lake that's behind the pass, there's an incredibly beautiful population of Saxifraga tolmiei, surrounded by shooting stars.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Never met a pass I didn't like...
_MG_5438.jpg
_MG_5450.jpg
jd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

jdunne wrote:Re: Tom's previous note:

I call the pass above Virginia Lakes "Frog Lakes Pass." By the little ice-fed lake that's behind the pass, there's an incredibly beautiful population of Saxifraga tolmiei, surrounded by shooting stars.
Here is a photo from July 2008 of that little pond just over the pass above Virginia Lakes. Too bad the photo doesn't show the incredible shade of blue from the water. And we saw abundant wildflowers all along that trail. Beautiful country.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:

Passes that I simply did not like due to ..., Avalanche (false summits)

I am with you on that one, Daisy!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

JD: Haekel col.. wow. That's about where i lose clarity on what a pass is vs. a col. For me, a Pass kinda has to have a trail up one side and then down the other side. A col can be a "pass"age, but is it really a pass?
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

John Dittli wrote:Never met a pass I didn't like...
John, does "North Goddard Pass" go from Martha Lake to (well, "toward") Ionian Basin? And is that the Ionian-Basin side in the photo?
—B²
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Herm - thats the one. Good photo. What a beauty that little lake is, with the ice shelf above it. If I knew how to attach a picture, I have one of the clarity of the blue quality you spoke of.

The Saxafrage and shooting stars are in that little mdw in the lower right hand of your photo. Also, the tiger lilies on the trail up there are awesome.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

New Army Pass is really great, as is the entire Horseshoe area. Many different passes. Kinda reminds me of Mineral King in that regard - big bowl with many passes out. Down in Mineral King, Coyote Pass is another wonderful treasure. Used to be part of my patrol area long ago.

But the best thing about New Army Pass is the walk up to Langley.