Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

Post by quentinc »

Police recently killed a mountain lion that somehow wandered into downtown Santa Monica, after attempts to immobilize it were unsuccessful, and predictably there was a segment of the population that was absolutely outraged, and staged protests. Now, the odds seem pretty high that a scared and cornered mountain lion in a busy urban area would attack and possibly kill someone, but that seemed of little importance to the protesters.

Surely, we've all killed our fair share of mosquitoes in the Sierra, and yet we are the ones visiting their "home." I'm not aware of PETA staging any protests for that, luckily. Personally, I wouldn't kill a rattlesnake, mainly because I wouldn't know how to do that without placing myself in danger. And if one were menacing me, I think it would make a lot more sense just to run.