Izaak Walton Lake to Warrior Lake; search for a pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishhugger
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Izaak Walton Lake to Warrior Lake; search for a pass

Post by fishhugger »

In early August I will be entering John Muir Wilderness from McGee Creek, crossing McGee Pass, and descending to Izaak Walton Lake or Hortense Lake. From there, I am searching for a pass over to Warrior Lake and vicinity. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Izaak Walton Lake to Warrior Lake; search for a pass

Post by maverick »

Hi Fishhugger

Welcome to HST!
There is no easy way across the ridge, if at all, so either you will have to use the trail
to go around, or if you wanted a cross country route, there is round about way, but you
are new, and did not state your prior experience, so I don't feel comfortable disclosing
that info since it is definitely not for someone without class 2 cross country/and
navigational experience.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

From Izaak Walton Lake climb south-south-east 1100 feet up the drainage to the obvious 11360+ saddle I call Walton Pass between "The Bowling Pin" erete and Mount Izaak Walton. Not advisable until mid July in average years. From the pass swing up left to right up talus to the class 2 11720 col southeast of the peak. On the the other sunny south facing side is lots of easy granite sand between rock outcrops. Easy to bag the peak from there and it is one of the Sierra's best 360d views from a peak. Stay high and traverse a mile west to the 11560 foot pass between 12221 and 11807. Warrior Lake is 1200 feet down the other side of that drainage.
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Your plan to go up to Hortense looks doable from Cotton and Mace lake. But over the top to Warrior will depend on you and your skill level. I seem to remember a post from a group that did it, so it is possible, but I just wouldn't recommend it. Another alternative would be going down Hortense drainage and meet up with the JMT, then follow the trail up to Warrior & Silver Pass to Edison. Incredible area with plenty of options, just be safe.

I have a trip planned out of Mammoths Duck Pass over to Olive, Peter Pande, Wilber May Lake area, then working my way over to the JMT to Warrior & Squaw, but before I exit back through Virginia, I might just try to go up the Hortense drainage. All depends on how the rest of my trip goes. You have a great time and be safe..