Cross Country Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by rlown »

what about a chopper ride? that has to be billed somewhere? they're not cheap.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

It's pretty rare that agencies or even counties charge for a SAR. I've occasionally heard mutterings that someone ought to be charged, but know of no actual cases (though it's not something I'd necessarily know about). The Sheriff or ranger might charge a person with some violation if there was one. There's some state back east that was talking about charging and did bill someone. A county might charge the county the person is from, but I'm not even sure if that's true anymore.

The philosophy is that you don't want people waiting to call for help such that things are going to be somehow worse for the rescuers or the victim by delaying. Or not calling at all and dying as a result.

Some parks will bill for an ambulance if a park ambulance picks you up at the helibase to then meet another one that takes the person to the hospital. For a few years, there was an attempt to bill for helicopter time, but it was stopped. If I remember right, it was because that was considered a 'service' along with anything NPS does to help visitors.

When people get, say, lost they're doing something unexpected. That is, an experienced person says "boy, was that dumb." But to the person making the mistake, when you talk to them about their decisions, they seem perfectly reasonable until they realize "oooops." So the problem is how egregious are the series of mistakes that led to the SAR.

Many parks have a SAR fund and even, sometimes, a brochure you can cheerfully give to the injured person. I usually forget to give them one, but Yosemite Search and Rescue gets some major donations that way and Sequoia Kings gets some.

Which is all to say that, mostly, it's your tax dollars at work.

George
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Where could one get this brochure if they wanted to contribute to the SAR fund?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

You gotta be kiddking me. Sept 2010 had some of the coldest Sept weather in memorry say after Sept 15th. I went over Taboos Pass about 9/15/10 and it was so cold that everything froze, even with my fantastic Mtn Hardware stuff.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Jimr - just approach the SAR folks and ask to join them. They will welcome you, and your support.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

EastSideHiker please check you messages, I sent you a pm a couple a weeks back.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Somehow, I missed a whole part of the thread. I pretty much agree with East Side Hiker's: "I give up" -- yet....
So this location is a ford? I imagine after going that far I would scout many miles if necessary up or down steam searching for downed trees or other narrow spots to cross. If I recall right Juncton Meadow has long sections of calm "surface" water which in a worst case scenario you could begin your ford up stream and let the stream carry you as you move across.
Do you mean the trail before you get to Bubbs Creek Junction Meadow is a high angle snow early season? If that creek is not fordable at the trail at least you have it going for you that you can follow the creek down the canyon until you find a place to cross and be on route.
"So this location is a ford"?!?!?!!? Are you absolutely clueless AND crazy? Calm surface water? Worst case scenario begin your ford upstream?! Jeez, what's the point? This is the Kern River. It's an Order 5 river at that point and it'll be spring runoff. There are people here with a lot of experience who have been trying to, reasonably gently, tell you about some of the problems you could encounter. You say you hiked the JMT? What did you learn on the way? I remember reading The Cactus Eaters, about a couple hiking the PCT maybe 10 years ago, and thinking "How could a guy hike so far and learn so little?"

It's one thing to look at a flat piece of paper -- a map -- and dream up excellent adventures. It's another to have hiked at least some of that terrain and be unable to imagine it in other conditions -- to have apparently learned nothing from 220 + miles of trails and streams. Some years ago, I wrote the Job Hazard Analysis for backcountry rangers. Number 10 of my list of recommendations was "Travel with humility."

Mountaineering, at its best, is about a humble relationship to terrain and learning. There is no room for arrogance or ego. A deep respect for the land and the overwhelming power of rivers, snow, weather, and rock is at the top of the list of all of us who spend a lot of time there. We listen to each other and, however reluctantly to a dream trip, often have to say, ok, this isn't the time.

Dude: this isn't the time. Hiked the JMT before and want to see something new? Oh, the horror! To have to repeat part of one of the most incredible journeys on the planet. I've hiked for over 40 years on many of the same trails over and over again. It's ALWAYS new. Always!

Oh lordy, quickly Prissy, I do feel the vapors coming on again -- a wee drop of bourbon and branch so's I can struggle on. Tomorrow's another day!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Now that, Mr. Durkee, is a wonderful post!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

gdurkee wrote:It's pretty rare that agencies or even counties charge for a SAR. I've occasionally heard mutterings that someone ought to be charged, but know of no actual cases (though it's not something I'd necessarily know about). The Sheriff or ranger might charge a person with some violation if there was one. There's some state back east that was talking about charging and did bill someone.
I believe that was New Hampshire, which passed a law in 2008 permitting such charges. My understanding is that they have rarely actually charged anyone, and when they have done, the charges a pretty nominal. There was a USA-Today article in 2009 about a scout who got injured and lost and who was to be charged for his rescue, but as I understand it, the local rescuers (most of whom are volunteers) are constantly after the state to change the law and/or not enforce it.
—B²
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Mr. gduerkee, I agree an excellent post.

Let me say again - do a bunch of short trips, learn the terrain, don't rely on a "flat map." Then do what you want. You can not have the mindset that people will rescue you. It's the WILDERNESS! Its vast and its cruel, and its gentle. But it can snow 6" in June... or anytime during the "summer."

I've had a plan to got to Tehipite Valley for a long time. I've abandoned my plan due to the winter weather pattern, and am going to Baja instead. There is a huge world out there to wonder about...