advice for first 2n/3d backpack with wife

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: advice for first 2n/3d backpack with wife

Post by guyd »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Do the Pohono Trail from Glacier Point. Day 1 - drive and park, go to Glacier Point, hike to Bridalveil Creek and camp. Side trips - climb Sentinal Peak, and the Fissures/viewpoint. Day 2- Crocker Point, Sanford Point, Artists Point, take old Glacier Point Road to Bridalveil Falls, walk south valley trail to Four Mile Trail. Take bus to Backpacker's campground. .
Can you estimate the length of that circuit?

Can we consider hiking all the way to Tunnel View...? If Yes, are there many camping spots for the second night? Can we catch a bus from there to Backpacker's campground?

I both cases I guess an option is to leave the car in the valley and take one-way bus to GP?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tom Harrison Map

Mono Meadow to Sunrise/CR Junction 2.8+2.1+2.6+1+.4+.6+.6+2.2+.5 = 12.8 miles
Glacier Point to S/Cr Junction 1.4+2.6+1+.4+.6+.6+2.2+.5 = 9.3 miles

The Pohono Trail down to Wawona Tunnel is 2.8+3+7.1+.3 = 13.2 miles, or another 1.8
miles further down the road by not taking the Wawona Tunnel option, and from where
you can hike approx another 3 miles to the start of the Four Mile Trail, or less if you
want to catch the shuttle at Cathedral Beach stop.

You'll have to hike to near Cathedral Beach to catch the El Capitan Shuttle, there is
shuttle stop there, and then take it to Yosemite Village, where you can take the
Valley Shuttle to the Backpackers Parking area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

maverick wrote: Mono Meadow to Sunrise/CR Junction 2.8+2.1+2.6+1+.4+.6+.6+2.2+.5 = 12.8 miles
Please clarify where is that Mono Meadow from which you are counting?
Is that the 'Mono Meadow' itself near the GP road, or the junction of 'Mono Meadow trail and GP to Illilouette trail?

How is the Pohono trail between its viewpoints: wooded? open and rocky? Does it have wildflowers early July?

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Guyd wrote "Is that the 'Mono Meadow' itself near the GP road, or the junction
of 'Mono Meadow trail and GP to Illilouette trail?
From the GP Road.

Views from Pohono Trail:
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/glacier-po ... -trail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trip report with campsites/photo's:
http://www.baoutdoors.com/2009/06/yosem ... trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

With all the snow over the past two years, you might have problems where ever you go, unless its in late Aug, Sept or later.

Think about going to Pacific Valley, off Hwy 4, and there are several nice hiking trails from there. There's a great trail that goes to Bull Run Pk. Its an easy drive, there are nice, free campsites, and its beautiful.