Shepherd Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
peninsula
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Shepherd Pass

Post by peninsula »

I plan to go over Shepherd Pass the second week of August. I figure it best to leave before sunrise, acclimate overnight at Anvil camp, and head over the following day to spend a week exploring the numerous basins in this northern end of Sequoia National. Any suggestions or advice as to negotiating this entrance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

peninsula
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Perfect plan. Have a great hike.

George
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

George,

You think four liters of water for two people will be enough to get us to our first water source? We figure to start out very well hydrated with plenty of rest and such.

Thanks again,

peninsula
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Indeed, most going up Shepherd Pass stay at Anvil Camp the first night. If, on the other hand, you've taken a moderately tough trip (at altitude) within a week of your trip and you feel you are in good hiking trim, hitting the pass on day 1 is not out of the question.

Regarding water, this really depends on the individuals and just how hot it is. The first 2500'+ of elevation gain or so on the Shepherd Pass trail is commonly waterless after the creek crossing that occurs very soon after leaving the car. If it were me, I'd allow 3 liters per person, just to be sure. In the somewhat similar dry stretch going up the first part of the Sawmill Pass trail (which is a bit lower and hotter, granted) my wife and I completely drained 3 liters apiece before we got to the first water. I think the very early start will help, but extra water is worth it in weight, in my opinion.
Last edited by giantbrookie on Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

Thanks giantbrookie,

I think I'll take your advice and take a couple of extra liters. Can't hurt and can always dump 'em if not needed. I will fill a 2 liter water bladder along with my usual four, one-liter Nalgene bottles.

You obviously are a fellow fisherman. I'll try posting a few pictures of last-year's catch on the Fishing Hole forum.

peninsula
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Looks like you have the water situation covered...I'd be guessing after this year's snowfall the upper chute below the pass will still have a descent sized, and steep, snowfield. By then many people would have paved a path through it, and bringing crampons and ice ax would be overkill. But it is something to still consider. You'll be able to see it from the trail below and judge whether it warrants any extra precautions - like waiting till mid-day or later to give the snow a chance to soften.
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

Thanks trailblazer,

I was not planning on taking crampons as I counted on some decent footing by August. However, I had not thought of considering giving the snow a chance to soften. I was hoping to get an early start as we plan on hiking ten or eleven miles the second day, but I appreciate being forewarned as to the possibilities.