TR – JMT Tuolumne to Mt Whitney 8/12-8/20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR – JMT Tuolumne to Mt Whitney 8/12-8/20

Post by Guy Cooper »

Wow I hope I can do that type of trip when I am 50. I was out there the same time period (left Florence on Aug 12) and covered a similar amount of trail in 15 days but I deviated from the JMT quite a bit. I highly recommend Bench Lake, it's so close to the JMT and truly one of the prettiest places I have ever been, possibly the prettiest lake I have seen in the Sierra (but I have a lot of ground to cover up there before that holds much weight) and I hear the x country routes around there are really special. Congratulations!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Guy Cooper wrote:... I highly recommend Bench Lake, it's so close to the JMT and truly one of the prettiest places I have ever been, possibly the prettiest lake I have seen in the Sierra ...
A guy on the trail told me the same thing, but by the time I got to that point I was near 26mi for the day and all I wanted to do was to set up camp, eat, call home and pass out. A ~2mi detour to Bench Lake just wasn't in the cards. So I set up camp on a knoll above a tarn just beyond the junction.

As I sat down on my Bearvault 500 to eat my dinner I happened to look up and see the most incredible view; probably the best view from any of my campsites on the JMT. I sat there for maybe 30 minutes staring in awe. Fortunately my camera was in my pocket or I probably wouldn't have snapped a picture.
IMG_0410.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Wow, what a great trip. It was an inspiring report for those of us in our 50's. 9 days crossing some of the finest areas of the High Sierra. Evolution Valley is the best.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I finally turned my 2012 JMT photo's and video clips into a long (55 min) video that some might enjoy. You can find it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwtesCXiUZY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Sounds like a great trip for your 50th. Hope you can enjoy your 60th and 70th years the same way. We are in our upper 50's and hope for a few more decades of backpacking if our health holds up. I want to do the PCT the first summer after I retire.

Long days are the main way of doing long miles. It also helps if you graze on the trail and don't need to take time to cook meals while on the move. I imagine there wasn't much snow if any on the passes. Snow was a major issue over passes for our August 2011 JMT trip.

I have reservations for Happy Isles to Whitney Portal with my wife and oldest son. This will be my 3rd complete JMT and my first southbound. We will take up to 18 days at a bit slower pace. I reserved 21 days but my wife had a scheduling conflict at work for the last 3 days of the reservation. I like to break in the trips with 13-15 miles days the few days and work up to 20 mile days after about a week of conditioning and acclimation. Since we are starting with the shorter resupply legs going southbound, I wonder if we will move faster with less food weight until MTR. We plan on getting going the first day out of Happy Isles at about 5:30AM to beat the Yosemite Valley heat.
Jeff
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

JWreno - Good luck on your trip this summer. I find myself in MD this summer vicariously enjoying other's TRs from afar (and rerunning my own). So make sure you post some pics! For some of us it's about the only Sierras we'll get this year. But I'll be back for next summers hiking season...
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks for the video. it was awesome!
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.