Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Clint,

Welcome aboard HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Hola!

In honor of my very first post, a decidedly boring mosquito conditions report made just today, I figured I'd pull a Carol Anne and step into the light :)

I'm a longtime backpacker / outdoor enthusiast and much more recent forum lurker interested in contributing to the community. I'm a city girl whose heart belongs to the Sierra, and I'm never as home as I am when rambling cross-country, eatin' Fritos and whistling with the marmots. I'm an outdoor journalist / book author, have been an instructor for the Sierra Club's Wilderness Travel Course for the last 6 (?) years, and enjoy helping other folks connect with the outdoors...it's my way of giving back for all of the people who've helped me hone my skills over the years! I've been enjoying all of the trip reports and hope to contribute my own soon enough!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Shawnterustic,

Welcome into the light! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Welcome...and tell us about those books!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Ha - thanks, @maverick :)

@balzaccom - thanks so much! More to come, but for now, I wrote & photographed the "Southern California" volume of the Mountaineers' Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail series that came out a few years back. ("Southern California" is in quotes because no matter how much I explained to my PNW-based editors, they didn't understand the geographic boundaries of what is Southern and Central CA! I apologize for these literary sins, over which I had no control!)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

shawnterustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:35 pm I apologize for these literary sins, over which I had no control!)

No need. I've published four books. Each one was an adventure...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Ah, so you understand! :)
middleweight_marmot
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by middleweight_marmot »

Hi guys,

I started lurking here in this past winter as I was planning my summer trips and have found it to be a great resource. I'm a Bay Area engineer in my mid 20's, and I discovered backpacking ~2 years ago when a coworker took me and my now-fiancee with him and some other friends to Zion NP. Since our first Sierra trip last June, my fiancee and I haven't been able to get enough. She is a longtime Mammoth snowboarder who fell in love with the winter Sierras, and I first fell in love with the the awesome backpacking and am now learning to ski. We try to do at least 2-3 backpacking trips a year.

First Sierra Trip: Mammoth Crest Loop to Deer Lakes/Duck Lake - mind blowing views on the crest
Favorite Sierra Trips: Marie Lakes Basin near Donohue Pass - for the solitude and fairy tale scenery (but not for the level 4 mosquitoes)
Pine Creek to Granite Park and Chalfant Lakes - for the fun scrambling
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

middleweight_marmot wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:54 pm I first fell in love with the the awesome backpacking and am now learning to ski. We try to do at least 2-3 backpacking trips a year.
Welcome, and good luck with the snow sliding foot sticks. If you're ever looking for someone to ski powder with, I might know a guy (spoiler: it's me).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

shawntérustic, very impressive book, though you did stretch "Southern Cal" into Yosemite!

Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California
Section Hiking from Campo to Tuolumne Meadows
by Shawnté Salabert and Shawnté Salabert.
Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California: Section Hiking from Campo to Tuolumne Meadows

How many of you are there? Ian and Ian. ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.