Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
unreal_ishan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by unreal_ishan »

Hello! I am so glad to have found this forum! My wife and I are avid hikers and backpackers based out of Bakersfield, CA and have been exploring all that California has to offer (and there is a LOT!) over the last 1.5 years since I moved out here. We recently finished the Trans Catalina trail in Apr and are looking forward to some great adventures in the Sierra this summer (Rae Lakes, Big Pine North Fork, Kearsarge Lakes are the permits we've been able to snag). Looking forward to garnering all the knowledge the forum has to offer and contribute back as well!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Welcome unreal_ishan. You guys are sure hitting the highlights this summer. Those are beautiful, but crowded areas, so you might want to hike that small bit farther to find some more solitude when you're there For example, in the Rae Lakes area, you might carry on up to Dragon Lake to camp; and in the North Fork of BP Creek, the higher numbered lakes are very nice, and quieter. You probably already know this, so don't mind my saying it.

There was recently a great Trip Report here about NF Big Pine Cr.... I'll try to add it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21316

I really like the look of Fourth Lake, and Summit Lake. Anyhow, we hope you enjoy High Sierra Topix as much as our family has, The Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
gfholland
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gfholland »

Greetings and thanks to those who build, manage and contribute to this forum: you've been a big help. I'm a Pacific NorthWest-based backpacker but have made a couple enjoyable forays into the Sierra over the last few years, teaming up with the then-SoCal-college-attending daughter. Last year was, alas, not-to-be, but the year before we had a great trip up Pine Creek Pass into Humphrey's Basin for a few nights (gosh, those lakes are GORGEOUS!). The year before we did a loop over Black Rock and Sawtooth Passes out of Mineral King; there's something special about thunderstorms at 10,000 feet! Neither trip was as long as we'd have liked but I'll take what I can get. This year we're again constrained by (her, still-SoCal-based) days off, and planning a loop out of Horseshoe Meadows *hoping* to get up into Miter Basin for at least some explore. Your forums again a big help in that planning.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kirstinrode »

Harlen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am Hey Kirstin,
Welcome to HST. Have you ever combined your sport with backpacking trips? It's not that hard. On geology field trips our prof. would take along a simple rope and a vball. String rope between rocks or trees, scratch out the lines, and there you are. It's pretty nice and sandy just below the summit of Mt. Langley-- volleyball at 14,000' anyone? Best of luck, Ian and Lizzie.

Haha not really. Sometimes we bring a ball and pepper in a cool spot but have played in tournament in Aspen, CO that's high enough for me!

*Saya pergi ke Gunung Batur... errr? 'also' Cool!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi gfholland,

Welcome to HST!
Yes, thunderstorms are special above 10,000 ft. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JokerLord
Topix Newbie

Post by JokerLord »

This place is awesome! I grew up backpacking in the Sierras since elementary school with Eddie Lindros out of Poway, CA. I have been lucky enough to have hiked all over, including a successful JMT trip with my wife in 2004. Thanks to everyone who posts information and photos! I am trying to set up a trip this summer and the data is so useful. Thanks again, John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi John,

Welcome to HST! :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
aquiros
Topix Newbie

Post by aquiros »

Hello! I am Alicia and love hiking the remote passes, trails and routes of the Southern Eastern Sierra. My husband and I and various friends get up there every chance we can. We enjoy the off trail routes, the snow and the sun and have been looking for constantly updated weather and snow conditions and I am so happy to have found this site. We are based out of the LA area. I grew up going to the Sierras and love finding new places to explore out there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to HST! :)

tyoungberg
Topix Acquainted

Post by tyoungberg »

Names Tyler - Long time listener, first time caller.

Have been backpacking and fly fishing most of my life - started in Boy Scouts and have been at it ever since! Blessed to live in N. NV and have the sierras in the backyard.

Recently have gotten my wife into backpacking and utilize the site for idea generation and it has not failed us yet - thank you to all the contributors!

Looking forward to contributing some trip reports this summer (was lucky enough to snag a few permits on the east side)