Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tjmckenzie
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by tjmckenzie »

Stage 5 Lurker here. I would love to post any knowledge I have...just as soon as I acquire some. Lol. I have that eagerness to learn and that's why I have lurkeritis. I am out of the California Central Valley. Been hiking, hunting and camping for most of my life. Been planning a backpacking trip now for almost a year. Obtaining proper equipment, knowledge and basically just preparing mentally and physically. Thank you to all that post their knowledge and experience on here, it effects more people than you know. In a good way. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi TJ,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Luckydrew
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Luckydrew »

Hello everyone,

Having been a lurker for a few weeks, I’m happy to introduce myself.

I go out for the same reasons everyone else here does – my own unique desires to commune with the mountains.

I wouldn’t call myself much of a hiker anymore. My knees, hips, and back like to remind me with each step of the years of adrenaline chasing in my youth that, in hindsight, probably weren’t as valuable as being able to standup now without my body making funny rice-krispy noises (Snap, Crackle, and Pop!).

I’m really a fisherman that has to walk to places I want to be because the roads don’t go there. I’m not much of a mileage guy anymore and have learned that in many of even the most popular locations, as little as 100 yards perpendicular to the main trail can often feel miles deep into the woods. I’ll go as far as I need or want to, but not much farther.

I make 2 to 3 trips a year ranging from 2 to 5 nights and I can’t remember the last time I didn’t go solo. I try to practice good risk management techniques, but have also seen firsthand that if Big Momma decides you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, regardless of your training, experience, knowledge or expertise, hunkering down and hoping for the best may be your only viable strategy. I use my bear canister religiously, though not so much for the bears as the marmots, chipmunks, and mice. Those little rat bastards not only chew up your stuff but ruin everything they leave behind. Can everyone spell Hantavirus? And to appease my always worried family, the last few years I have begun renting a satellite phone and check-in for 10 minutes or so each day when it gets dark.

I use an old Air Force issue, liquid filled compass I received as a gift many years ago that still works great. But there is quite no adrenaline rush that can compare to the first 60 seconds after you pop out of the trees, look at your map and wonder why is Mount Insurmountable suddenly on your left and when did the sun start setting in the East?

I’m a three season guy and don’t snow camp for one simple reason: its cold and I prefer not to be.

I tend to basecamp and sleep more than one night at locations at or above the tree line because I’ve found the best views tend to be in open space where I can see stars directly, the vistas go on for miles, and I don’t have to move around to see the moon. Put me next to a small to medium sized lake at 10K feet and I can sit there all day. Camping in or around a multi-lake basin, and there are many in the Sierras, is about as close to heaven as I need to get. It’s God’s backyard as I tell my friends.

My food is mostly boiled and I have learned that lime Gatorade, mixed double strength in some cold water, forms the basis of a pretty decent mountain margarita – and the longer you’re out the better it tastes. Coffee, whether at home or in the hills remains a daily necessary staple of my existence.

I mostly fish a spinning rig with lures, like to fly fish, but am not a purist of any sort. If dancing naked brings them in so I can poke ‘em with a stick or hit ‘em with rock so be it; anything to vanquish my finned adversaries. But I only keep what I can eat and always go barbless until about size 20 because I can’t hardly see those things anymore.

I have also found that with this new fangled internet thing, the ability to print custom topos, of any scale, combined with the recon you can do on google earth, makes trip planning actually a much more involved affair suitable for burning many many hours in my man cave – much to the chagrin/happiness(?) of my wife. There are a few trips that in hindsight, while I don’t regret having made, I probably would have gone somewhere else if I’d had access to better information upfront.

If you ever see me on the trail, feel free to stop and chat for a while - I am always eager to exchange intel on current conditions – where I’ve been or where I’m going. I’ll be the guy with fishing rod in hand wearing the old retired guy golf hat. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. But please don’t be surprised or offended if, after 10 to 15 minutes, I decide its time for me to move on.

So that’s me. If you made it this far thanks, I appreciate it. I know there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site, and if I can make a positive contribution I will be glad to. If not, I’ll try to keep my opinions to myself.

May you always have clear skies, an empty open path in front of you, and tight lines.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A very nice intro, Luckydrew!!

Welcome to the HST!
The Private
Topix Newbie

Post by The Private »

Hey everyone, I have not been lurking long for I just joined. I am New Yorker with a heart and mind that lives in the High Sierra's. I found my way here via the recommendation of SYMG Guides. I have been planning a new trip from Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne this August and I needed reconn for my trip. This is an awesome forum and I hope to become a valuable member. Thank you for all your efforts. Very cool!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Private,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
VisaliaIPA
Topix Newbie

Post by VisaliaIPA »

Well I've lurked here long enough and figure I should probably do the into thing.

I live in Visalia and try to get out as much as I can, when work, kids and the wife let me that is. Have delayed this years outings because of the snow melt. Hopefully plan on doing Twin Lakes (and maybe a Ranger Lake) within the next few weeks. Just a short 3 day trip.

I haven't tried fishing but may try I think on this trip.........

Anyways, howdy........
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard, VisaliaIPA. Do your kids and wife backpack with you?
VisaliaIPA
Topix Newbie

Post by VisaliaIPA »

No not really....they'll go day hiking but wife isn't a fan of backpacking. I haven't all the gear for my boys yet but they would probably like it....... although I think I'd get tired of them asking "is there wi-fi.....?" LOL
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

VisaliaIPA wrote:No not really....they'll go day hiking but wife isn't a fan of backpacking. I haven't all the gear for my boys yet but they would probably like it....... although I think I'd get tired of them asking "is there wi-fi.....?" LOL
Or, you could tell them that wi-fi can only be used after they catch 3 fish each for dinner :wink: Notice I didn't mention the snipe yet... :)