Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Ted,
Welcome to HST! Thanks for the pretty shot!👍🏻
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bwd »

Hi all,

I've gleaned lots of useful info from this site over the last several months so wanted to try to return the favor. I'm still fairly new to the Sierras but did spend many years exploring the CO Rockies (mostly by bike). I am aiming to do the JMT [or something of similar scale] in the summer of 2020, so my thanks in advance for all the available info on the site about that.

A brief trip report: my partner and I spent 4 nights camping up near Lake Edison (7-1 through 7-5). Snow seemed largely relegated to elevations above that of Kaiser Pass. We did several day hikes [Devil's Bathtub, Dutch Lake, Corbett Lake] and saw virtually no snow. A picture of Devil's Bathtub is below. Mosquito report: everything was ~Level 2. We were prepared for worse and were pleasantly surprised. Those familiar with the area will note that we didn't go to Crater Lake from Dutch Lake. We were planning to, but while taking a brief food break between those two lakes we saw a very large bear. That seemed to convince my partner that we should call it a day.

Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ben,
Welcome to HST!
Thanks for the introduction and the mini TR!👍

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amberama
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by amberama »

I have been backpacking for years with my husband. We go ultralight and used to lead our son's boy scout troop in the journey to light weight. My husband passed away a year ago from cancer and now I have no hiking or backpacking buddy, other than my chiweenie, which is not allowed on all of the trails. That being said, I managed to convince my brother to come on a trek with me and I am super excited to introduce him to the wilderness! I love hiking and backpacking in my local San Gabriels, but also try to make at least a couple of treks in the High Sierra every year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Amberama,

Welcome to HST!
Consider coming to our annual HST Meet-up, you'll meet some great, like minded people, and may make some life long backpacking partners. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18993

somedumgoy
Topix Newbie

Post by somedumgoy »

Hello HST!

I've been reading this forum for about 11 months while planning my trips for this year. Thank you everyone for the awesome trip reports, maps, and info.

Hiking and fishing in the Sierra Nevada are pure bliss, especially when you catch a nice one, right?

I'm trying to expand into going more x-country and bag peaks.

> What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 3. I'm not a climber and I think class 2 scrambles and x-country are fun but have not done much of it and have mostly stuck to trails.

> What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
Class 2 and 3. See above; no ropes. But I'm fit and happy to get on my hands and knees with 60 lbs on my back.

> What is your main interest?
- Big Mountain Scenery
- Solitude
- Fishing

> Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?
Only up to ~12.5k, no issues

> Will you be hiking with a dog?
No

> Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level.
I've done multiple 40-50 mile trips in Yosemite, done some long trips in Trinity Alps and the Lost Coast Trail a few times. I don't consider any of those difficult for myself but last year, I took my girlfriend on her first backpacking trip in Yosemite. She's in great shape and she loved it. We did the 40 mile loop of Mono TH > Koip Pass > Donahue Pass > Tuolumne Mdws over 3 nights, 4 days. Since then, I took her to Trinity Alps for a 4 nighter but about the same distance. This year I want to introduce her to x-country travel.

Here is one of our favorite photos from that trip from when we camped at the foot of Mt. Lyell.
IMG_0958.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Somedumgoy,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the info and photo! :)

torpified
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by torpified »

I am extremely guilty of lurking, but I'm also on the verge of posting some questions to the forum, so maybe the lurking should stop. I'm a lifelong midwesterner who discovered in late middle age that I have a fascination with the Sierra that borders on the pathological. I've covered hundreds of miles in the range since then, mostly backpacking, mostly solo, mostly on trail, with getting new places, especially above treeline, a priority. I am cross country curious. One of the things I like doing in camp at night is scribbling about what happened to me that day, so I may be good for a few trip reports. Thanks to all who contribute for the wealth of information here!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Matt here. Spent many happy summers in the Sierra. Getting back into backpacking after a long dry spell. Glad to have so much collective knowledge available...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard torpified and westmatt.