Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bradg
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Bradg »

Hello
Bradg here

I've been lucky enough to have spent considerable time in the Sierra for close to 40 years. I'm 54', and got started backpacking with the Boy Scouts as a kid. I soloed the Tahoe Yosemite trail at 17. I moved on to peak bagging and general mountaineering in my 20's and 30's. Have slowed down as age and family obligations have taken their toll.

I mostly interested in the beauty and friends that I cultivated over te years in the mountains, with a little fishing thrown in.

Thanks for all the info and a great website and letting us"lurk". I willdo a T R as soon as I make it to paradise once again.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bradg,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading some of you TR's in the future Bradg. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Post by frisfraser »

Hey Scottawr!
Looks like we got the same stomping grounds. My friends and I did the same thing in high school to train for sports programs. I'm in Huntington Beach. Whats your favorite trail in the Gabes? May see you on the trail.
-Fris
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Hello all... I just registered, and this is my first post.

I've returned to this sport a few years ago, after being away from it for 30 years. In the 70s, I did a considerable amount of Sierra backpacking while in the Boy Scouts.

Since getting back into this, my main interest is mountaineering. This year, i'm trying for at least one Eastern Sierra trip every month. I do 3 day solo trips to class 2-3 objectives, and have plans to do one or two class 3-4 trips with a friend (hoping for a Mt. Ranier ascent next year).

I'm looking forward to checking-out the site, contributing, and hopefully meeting some of you on the trails.
quietone
Topix Novice

Post by quietone »

just returned from a fantastic trip to escalant, ut- will post if i find time while working, and before i leave for miter basin on next days off :-)

ps- lurked for years, finally joined
mahjzha
Topix Novice

Post by mahjzha »

Mahjzha here! I too must admit to being a "lurker", and greatly appreciate the trail/mosquito reports that I have "lurked" at! It has helped me plan/decide what trips to take! This year the main trips planned are a week in the Emigrant, and then the JMT (excluding LYV to TM - too old to put up with the crowds!)

I am an old geezer lady I guess (55 with grown kids and grandkids!) and have been backpacking for quite a while, perhaps before some of the "whippersnappers" were even around! My trail companion is usually my daughter (Dahjzha), and this will be our last summer of fun since she is leaving for grad school in the fall. And she is the one who takes all the pictures!

Always looking for someone to backpack with! Carry on!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Artrock23 and Mahjzha,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your future TR's and contribution to this
fantastic community!!! :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

maverick wrote:Hi Artrock23 and Mahjzha,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your future TR's and contribution to this
fantastic community!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the welcome, Mav. I'll post the occasional TR, and few peaks in the '13ers & 14ers' forum.
Sierra00
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra00 »

Hello all,

I'm an eastcoaster and midwesterner who visited the Sierra for the first time back in 2000, and I have been back every single year since, except one. It is quite addictive as you all know! So I've gotten around a little in those 12 trips (usually about 3 weeks each time), but I still learn much from this website, thanks very much to all of you. When one comes from a distance like I do it is very valuable to have such a good info source.

I usually go in on the east side. My backpacking trips have mostly been in John Muir Wilderness and Ansel Adams Wilderness, with a few also in the Yosemite high country. This year I'm planning to visit in late August and early September and backpack in Granite Park/Italy Pass/Bear Lakes basin, and also the classic Agnew Meadows/Donahue Pass/ Lyell Canyon trip, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I've been in at Agnew Meadows, up thru 1000 Island and over North Glacier Pass to Lake Catherine area on a past trip. But not Donahue yet. I usually avoid the most crowded areas, but it seems like this trip is worth making an exception for.

I'll try to get some pics up from last year's trip. (Might take a few days.)

.... to Sandcrab -- upper French Canyon is a great choice. I spent 4 days there in 2005, using it as a base camp and exploring. There are all kinds of good dayhiking targets from there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sierra00,

Welcome to HST! Yes, we all understand the magnetic draw of the Sierra making us
need to come back each season. :)
Both of the areas you have planned for the Fall are classics, and we will be very
dry this year by Sept. Looking forward to read about your past and future trips. :thumbsup: