Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by oddtiger »

Hi all,

I was searching for condition/trail reports for my backpacking plan this year, and found this awesome community!

I moved to LA with my wife, two toddlers and a golden retriever a couple of years ago, from the east coast. Before that I moved to the States from China, about 10 years ago. I just love staying in the mountains, and it doesn't matter what I do there. Back in college I climbed a few peaks in Tibet/Sichuan with my college mountaineering team. In the east coast I enjoyed skiing on the icy slopes and backpacking in the Appalachian Mountains. Now in LA I take my kids to desert and Sierras, mostly for car camping, fishing and hiking on the nature trails. For solo trips I do ski touring and day/weekend hiking the most.

My wife and kids will be travelling around the world from late April to mid-July this year, leaving me with about 10 weekends to do solo trips! I have filled all of them with permits/plans in the Sierra but will definitely have to adapt to the conditions each week. Hope to see you on the trail!

-Andy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Andy,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ragedaemon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by ragedaemon »

Hi all,

Total newbie looking to get into backpacking. Currently getting my gear together and prospecting for some potential 2 day/1 night hikes in late April/early May (yes, I know it's early). Since I live in LA now there are fewer options than in norcal but I've done a bit of bouldering/hiking in Joshua Tree and the San Bernardino National Forest.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ragedaemon,

Welcome to HST! :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Hello. My name is Bob Adams and although I've been a longtime member of HST I haven't been here in years. I used to backpack some in the Sierra. Went over Piute Pass into Humpreys Basin, Shepards Pass into the Wallace Lake area and Cottonwood and New Army Pass to the Miter Basin. I'm looking for some old friends. AnnieB and Ozark Flip are two. Wondering if they are still around.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bob,

Welcome back! :)
OF hasn't been on since 2016, AB since 2009.

TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Flip still lurks here:

Viewing profile - Ozark Flip
Last visited:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Viewing profile - Ozark Flip
Last visited:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am
My bad, read the dates from the persons profile below OF. :) :derp:

bob adams
Topix Acquainted

Post by bob adams »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. Hoping to connect with OF and AB in a July/Aug trip.
phonewentwest
Topix Novice

Post by phonewentwest »

Name's Sam.
Born and raised in Southern California. I get antsy, can't pass time indoors or sitting around. There's absolutely nothing like open space, fresh air, and being active.

Up until recently, most of my explorations have been abroad or on the coast. Now exploring as a father of a 1-year old little girl who seems OK in a car seat, I've set my sights on exploring California.

Most recently (March 2018), my wife, daughter and I tested the waters car camping on the Big Sur coast. Our daughter did great! I think she loves the outdoors as much as I do. I'm happy to share a report, but this thread isn't the place.

As a teacher, I'm looking forward to a summer of possibilities. The next adventure we are planning is for Memorial Day Weekend in Alabama Hills, with morning day hikes around Whitney Portal and Onion Valley, and afternoon fishing in the creek. Always keen on suggestions.