Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Levi,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the pic. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ExBigPiner
Topix Newbie

Post by ExBigPiner »

Hello :) from the high desolate desert of Winnemucca Nevada.
Former Eastern Sierra resident (Big Pine) and lover of hiking, history, poking around old camps and relic ghost towns.
Norman Clyde and Orland Bartholomew were my "gods" and I miss the "Sierry Petes."
Have lurked on this forum for years and finally decided to join.
Just an old semi-retired gal now starving to death on a small ranch with a pack of big dogs, some sheep and a goat.
When Duane Rossi had his steakhouse in Big Pine I worked there one summer scrubbing plates.
Hit my head on that dang dish washer thingy hanging over the sink enough times to make me goofy.
He was a great old guy. I heard his house burned down, and he shut down the steakhouse.
Rode horses for another fellow up in Bishop and did some part time maid work at the Big Pine Motel.
Which by the way is a neat, clean, retro motel to stay in if you are in Big Pine. Tell Legaya the owner I sent you.
I used to hike up to the old cabin Lon Chaney owned all the time when I lived there.
Did some casting into the pond in front of the old Glacier Lodge site where the little cabins are.
Now I'm back here in the Big Out There where I spent my youth buckarooing for big cow outfits.
But I miss the Sierras. Wait, I already said that!
OK that's more than enough info bordering on too much.
Enjoy the forum. Best to all.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi ExBigPiner,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bellini195
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bellini195 »

Hello fellow backpackers!

I'm from family-oriented Las Vegas :paranoid: I get out of the madness frequently. A 4-hour drive or less from amazing places, I have backpacked Zion NP, Great Basin NP, Sierra Nevada, Grand Canyon NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPs, Pine Valley mountains... at home Lake Mead NP, Mount Charleston mountains. I'm usually solo with my SPOT and am lucky to meet amazing folks out on the trail.

I'm planning on hiking PCT section G in 2018.

Stay safe and breathe deep
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bellini195,

Welcome to HST! We enjoy TR's here from any where in the world, so if you get time, it would be great if you could post a few of your adventures. :)

jlhaughey
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by jlhaughey »

Hey people...my name is Jordan and I live on the central coast of Cali. Got into backpacking a year ago after a friend of mine cooked up a scheme to get to the top of Mt. Whitney. I lived in South Lake Tahoe for a spell and have always had a bit of a love affair with the Sierra. I've always been an avid day hiker, but was never into trying my hand at overnight trips. Since my friend couldn't score an overnight Whitney permit last year, another friend who had done the JMT suggested leaving out of Onion valley & summiting from the west. The trip was a year in the making, researching and acquiring gear, looking at maps, watching Youtubes, and doing a considerable amount of LURKING in the discussions on this site. I did a solo test run with all of my gear into Desolation Wilderness last July (with about 10 feet of snow on the ground still) and we did Onion Valley to Whitney for a summit late September. Needless to say I'm hooked, so I figured I might as well join the party with you guys.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jordan,

Welcome aboard! :)

ryanjl10
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ryanjl10 »

Hello! My name is Ryan and I've been backpacking since I was really young. The Sierras have been my favorite since I backpacked the High Sierra Trail a few years ago with my wife. In just 9 days, we are doing a 185 mile trip over 17 days along a large loop in SEKI... we'll hit about the last 75 miles or so of the JMT. Can't wait! Looking forward to learning more with this community!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to HST! Have a wonderful and safe trip, please write us up a TR when you get back. :)

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Ryan writes:
...In just 9 days, we are doing a 185 mile trip over 17 days along a large loop in SEKI... we'll hit about the last 75 miles or so of the JMT. Can't wait! Looking forward to learning more with this community!
Hello and Welcome Ryan. That sounds like a wonderful long trip you're heading out on. We envy you that location; we're are out of luck in SEKI due to our dogs. Best of luck, we look forward to hearing how it went. The Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.