Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by shawnterustic »

@Harlen

Ha! I am multitudes, apparently! :lol:

You should have seen the many, MANY emails and conversations I had with my publisher, trying to convince them that I'd get raked over the coals for the whole "southern California" thing. Luckily, I haven't (yet) received any hate mail...but there's still time!

(And, hey, thanks for the kind words!)
skyisbluee
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by skyisbluee »

Good day all. Stumbled upon this site by accident. So far I have been backpacking in Yosemite (mostly by myself) and at times with my wife. Looking forward to venturing out of Yosemite. Any tips/suggestions where to start my journey (literally & figuratively) of High Sierra backpacking/hiking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Skyisbluee,

Welcome to HST! :)
Please post any questions for backpacking suggestions in a separate post in this section of the forum.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ericmcornelius
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ericmcornelius »

Hi all - figured I should write a proper introduction.

My wife and I moved to Mammoth a couple years ago. Unlike the local adage of "move for the winters, stay for the summers" - we moved here for the backpacking from the get-go and eyed the annual average snowfall with some trepidation.

I guess we've been a hex on California, because we seem to have brought the drought with us - sorry all.

Pretty sure we'll be fully addicted back-country skiers if we ever see a proper winter again though.

We've moved over the years from Boston environs to Manhattan to Denver to here, and here we plan to stay, and hope to explore every inch of the Sierra that we can while we can, and be a good community members for everyone that loves these mountains.

Really appreciate all the information and varied viewpoints and discussions I've seen on this board already - it has helped tremendously in starting to build up our cross-country travel skillset without biting off more than we can chew.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Hello, @ericmcornelius -
Welcome to HST !!
and we’ll be looking forward to hearing more about your mountain adventures :nod:
Hiking in jeans
Topix Newbie

Post by Hiking in jeans »

Website newb here. Have been seeking outdoor entertainment for a long time. As of this writing I'm dangerously close to turning sixty one. Past twenty yr or so was a commitment. However, things are opening up now. I've done more backpacking in the past year than the prior twenty plus. Go team Go. My gear is set up for a comfy three seasons here in NorCal. I'm in decent shape considering and started exercising. My haunts are Henry W Coe and better yet, Emigrant wilderness, mostly due to close proximity to da haus. I tend to solo trek but will collaborate with small groups. I'm thinking of joining Stanislaus Forest Volunteers for trail work. Might as well. I'm usually kicking sticks and stones out of my way anyway.
So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I welcome any PM's for future outings or general meet-n-greets around the Bay Area. See ya on trail. Peace, ~RL
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hiking in Jeans,

Welcome to HST! 🙂

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rormisto
Topix Acquainted

Post by rormisto »

Hey all--

I've been referencing your phenomenal trip reports and the XC passes map since maybe 2016 or so-- so thank you for all the info! I ran across RoguePhotonic at VVR on my 2020 JMT trip, and have planned a few trips with help from maiathebee's TRs. As I've been spending more and more time in the Sierra lately, I figured I should finally make an account! JMT/HST aside, I think I've got a few hundred miles of weekend trips out of Lodgepole/Kearsarge, a good amount of it off-trail. Stoked to be here!

-rormisto/Waldo
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Waldo,

Welcome to HST! :)

zealousy
Topix Newbie

Post by zealousy »

Hi everyone, I found this forum after bumping into someone on this forum on a backpacking trip in Sequoia! Slowly learning about it all. :)