Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BayHiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by BayHiker »

Hey folks, I’ve lurked for a while and posted a handful of times but realized I’ve never properly introduced myself. I’m Annie, and I’m based in the SF Bay Area.

I grew up camping here in the Coast Range and did a one-night class backpack trip in elementary school, but then stuck to day hiking until a few years ago. In 2016, in desperate need of an offline vacation and given the opportunity to piggyback on a work trip to London, I did a link-up of the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way and have been hooked on backpacking ever since.

I make the occasional foray into El Dorado, Sierra, and Inyo NFs but somehow I mostly find myself going back to explore more of Yosemite. In addition to hiking I do some climbing (primarily Yosemite and Joshua Tree) and mountaineering (most recently in Mexico). I haven’t been able to get out much this year due to an injury, but next year I’m looking forward to doing more off-trail travel and getting up more of California’s 13ers and 14ers.

Hope to see y’all out there!
Last edited by BayHiker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi BayHiker,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

torpified wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:04 pm I am cross country curious.
Love it! lol! I began exploring my cross country tendencies a couple of years ago, and have found that I like it for the most part. I welcome you and your writing to the group.
rs44
Topix Acquainted

Post by rs44 »

Hi all!

I've enjoyed reading this forum the past year or so for the beta and hiking ideas. Happy to no longer lurk :D

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 3- Numerous backpacking/long day-hikes trips, some x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 3/4 terrain/pass/x-country and some snow travel. No experience with ropes or glacier crossing (need friends for that!)

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery

Typically prefer long day-hikes to backpacking, but definitely want more experience in the latter. Generally willing to do up to 25 miles in a day hike to reach a peak.

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?
- Made it to Mt. Shasta at almost 14,200 feet. Only issue with altitude sickness came when I invited it climbing to 13,300 after staying overnight at 4,000ft.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
- Loop or out and back

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI, western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
- Eastern Sierra. Had my first trip there in late Sept 2019 and absolutely loved it. Definitely want to venture further into its pristine landscape.

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level.
- Yes, mostly in Lake Tahoe but also with trips to Yosemite, the Kaiser Wilderness, and the Palisades. Hardest Sierra hikes include a failed attempt on Middle Palisade and Mt. Agassiz, both failures due to weather. Also climbed Mt. Shasta via Avalanche Gulch in July under perfect conditions, which made it relatively easy. Ditto Shastina.

Looking forward to participating in the community!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi rs44,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the TR too. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
biffnix
Topix Newbie

Post by biffnix »

Been lurking for years. I'm Joe, I live in Bishop, CA, and been here 20 years now. Backpacking experience? I've been in the backcountry a few times, I suppose... ;)

Latest trip report would have to be for my birthday, I headed over to Davis Lake, in the Hilton Lakes valley. Mid-September, so it was perfect - cold enough for no mosquitos, and warm enough that there was no frost. Caught a ton of brook and brown trout in Hilton creek between the lakes, hardly saw anyone, and had a great time.

Just bought some lightweight gear after realizing it was time to retire my super-heavy backpack, MSR whisperlite stove w/white gas, and heavy tent. Cut 10 pounds off just by switching the pack, tent, and stove! Guess I should have updated my gear years ago, but everything worked fine. Well, except my body, which appreciates the lighter gear a lot...

Anyway, guess that's it for now. Cheers.

Joe G.
Bishop, CA
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Joe,

Welcome aboard, officially! :nod:

poiru
Topix Newbie

Post by poiru »

Hello all, another long time lurker here.

I fell in love with the Sierra in 2015 while doing an internship in California. My summer culminated in a magnificent sunrise atop Mount Whitney after completing the John Muir Trail. More recently, I've become a fan of the solitude and tranquility found in the cross country corners of the Sierras.

Last year I set out on a 10 day solo adventure in Kings Canyon & Sequoia. It was my first time using a compass in the field, but it all worked out and I lived to tell the tale despite moments that felt gnarly at the time (my comfort zone has since expanded!). This year I did a more ambitious 25 day solo trip mostly in Kings Canyon and had the time of my life. If things work out, I hope to be out there for even longer next year.

This forum has been an amazing resource. Thank you all for sharing your invaluable intel!

Happy hiking, see you out there!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Poiru,
Welcome to HST!

ChuckSten
Topix Novice

Post by ChuckSten »

Hi,
In 1955, I woke up as the sun rose on Flapjack Lakes in Olympic NP and was overwhelmed by the beauty of the scene. We slept under surplus army ponchos and in wool sleeping bags, used cotton canvas and wood-framed packs, carried full-size axes, and were heavily dependent on campfires.

Unsolicited, free advice: If you enjoy the High Sierra, then you must hike in Nepal while you still can.

This September, I backpacked solo for ten glorious days in Humphreys Basin. Next September, after Maverick’s 2020 HST Meetup at Tuolumne, I’ll do something similar -- maybe Bear Lakes Basin.

Thanks to all who have made HST such an inspiration and valuable resource. I owe you.
Chuck Sten, San Diego