Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the intro Devin, already gave you a welcome greeting on your first post. Looking forward to your future TR's. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Devin
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Devin »

I saw that, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm definitely looking forward to posting future TRs, all the more motivation to take more trips to the sierras.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

My name is Jon and I guess I have been "lurkin around" for awhile now. I live in NV just outside of Tahoe but spend a lot of my free time in the Sierra. I will post a TR or 3 in the upcoming days as I climbed a bunch of peaks this past year, mostly SPS peaks but not all. I have been lagging on being a productive member of this society although I will work on giving and not just taking. So with that being said, I have been backpacking for quite a few years but recently have been spending most of my days scrambling and rambling around on long and short day trips. I am always interested in meeting new people that have similar interests and experiences to tag along or join on adventures. I think I found this site thru a guy named Andy who I ran into a few years ago out in the Miter Basin and I saw this site on his site...seatosummitultralight or something. Anyways, that's it!
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jon,

Welcome to HST! Yeah that was Bluewater you ran into in Miter.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
C and r
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by C and r »

I have just turned 50 have hiked fished and backpacked all up and down the eastern sierras from Lone Pine to Sonma Pass. l have lived and worked in so. Cal. My whole life. Fishing is my main thing I have tournament Bass fished for over 30 years and started out trout fishing in the eastern sierras with my parent and grand parents was a young child. My Mom has purchased a house in Bishop a few years back for the family to use since I would spend 3 to 6 weeks a year in the mountains. I am always looking for a adventure and go more often than not solo. It is hard to find pepole that are as hard core into it as me. Most people make 1 trip with me and think I am nuts and that's the last trip they will make. That is including my family I have to tone things way back a few times a year to include them. My log in c and r is for catch and release fishing that is.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Welcome C and r,
Myself, as well as many others here, I'm sure, have similar experiences with one shot hiking partners. Until this year, my best was one partner who went with me twice.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
BeforeDark
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BeforeDark »

I'm going to sound like everyone else: I've been finding great information here over the last few years and finally decided to say hi. I'm an Oregonian with multiple short- and long-term backpacking trips under my belt. Mostly I've stayed on trail, but sometimes I venture offtrail. I'm working on those offtrail skills, since the Sierra High Route is on the bucket list.

My husband and I have spent a combined 40 days and 40 nights (no, really!) in the Sierra over the last two summers and I can't get enough. My favorite location to date is a tossup between Humphreys Basin and Upper Basin: in other words, above treeline and wide open. For next summer, I'm hoping to plan a one- or two-week trip that takes in plenty of the highest of high country. Bonus points for some less-travelled trails, and maybe branching out into some of the easier crosscountry routes.

I need to hurry though: can't believe it's almost permit season!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your TR's to the Sierra, we also enjoy TR's from other areas of the country and beyond. :nod:

Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I just made my first post in answer to another newbies question about hiking in the Desolation Wilderness and then happened across this topic. I guess I should introduce myself. I started hiking for the purpose of fishing when I was 7 and would go out a couple of weeks each year with my grandfather into the mountains of northeast Shasta County. Later I dropped the fishing and just did day hikes along with a few mountaineering trips (nothing to wild just some off trail stuff involving crampons and an ice axe a few times). Then I hurt my right knee pretty bad and gave up hiking because I couldn't deal with the pain. Fast forward 20 years, and I started hiking again, mostly around Whiskeytown National Rec Area with a few trips around Castle Crags. My knees hurt like hell, but I kept it up and started using trekking poles. A year later I decided that I wanted to backpack and bought some cheap equipment for my first trip up into the Trinity Alps. The pack was heavy, it was a hard trip for me, but I was hooked. I've replaced just about everything since that first trip. I'm not ultra-light, but I am light. I pack for the trip I am going on, which means I don't bring along stuff there is almost no chance I will need. My base weight varies from 12 lbs to 18 lbs plus food and water depending on where and when I am hiking. 14 to 15 miles a day is fun for me, and while I have done 20+ mile days, I try to avoid it, as I tend to stop having fun around mile 16 or 17. :-)

In 2015 I started applying for a permit to hike the JMT and finally got one, starting out of TM. I met some nice people on the JMT super highway, and saw some awe inspiring sites. Now I was hooked on the Sierra, and I plan to return every year for at least a 1-week trip. I'll try to post this past year's trip in SEKI soon.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Nice intro, and welcome aboard, Lumbergh21!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix