Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
japhy0508
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by japhy0508 »

Howdy all....been a member for a couple months now. I've been climbing, mostly trad, for somewhere close to 20 years. Moved to California about 15 years ago. Love getting into the back country when ever possible. Have a daughter of 8 years and wanting to expose her to the magic of the mountains over the coming years. I have fly fished off and on since a kid and consider it a passion now including tying flies. Was inspired to do the JMT last year and it was a life changing experience for me to experience a range I have longed to explore for so long. Ideal trip in the mountains would be a pack, fly rod and small climbing rack and a couple weeks to explore. I'm enjoying the rich knowledge base on this forum and open wiliness to extent any help/insight/information that can be provided. Thanks so much for keeping it up and running for so many to participate in!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Japhy0508,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the formal intro. Would love to read about your adventure on the JMT! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rusticandy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =) Rustic Andy Here

Post by rusticandy »

Hello All,

Ive been backpacking since age 10 or so when our parents took us up through Desolation, Emigrant Wilderness and other Tahoe areas. My wife, daughter and I currently reside in Atascadero CA. Have lived in Colorado and Oregon and love getting up to the South Sierras whenever I can.

A few years back my brother and I turned 51 an 50 so we did a 50 lakes hike out of courtwright/Maxson, hitting crown, red mtn, bench valley, and hell for sure.

I enjoy supplimenting the bearbox larder with high sierra trout where they are abundant.

Thank you everyone for the wealth of information!!!!

Andy
japhy0508
Topix Acquainted

Post by japhy0508 »

I've been wanting to put something together for a while now on my trip. This may be the motivator to put it into action. I'll get to work and post it as soon as i have something. Cheers!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Andy,
Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

Hello! I am a very Happy Camper :)

I found HST before my trip to Big Pine lakes last weekend. I had a lovely time and very much fell in love with the Sierras as it was my first venture into the area. I would consider myself a class 2 backpacker - I've done overnights at and peak bagging in the San Bernandinos; I've done backcountry in Zion, Half Dome, Havasupai (backcountry Grand Canyon) - mostly 2-3 day trips. I consider myself a minimalist when it comes to the wilderness - I mainly go for clarity of mind rather than physical challenge. I'm a powerlifter - I do plenty of challenging things in training and backpacking is definitely an activity I do for pleasure.

This holiday weekend I have wilderness permits for Monday night at Thousand Island lakes via the River Trail and I'm lurking around for the best way to maximize my 4 days off as I drive up to Agnew Meadows. I'm even thinking of revisiting Big Pine lakes or getting whatever walk-in permit available in Bishop on Saturday morning as I wait for my turn in the Ansel Adams Wilderness.

I have permits for Whitney on the 8th too - it's the summer of the Eastern Sierras! Thank you for the activity here, it's been invaluable.
Troutrider
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Troutrider »

Two Andy's in a row?!

Hi all!

I have been a member for about a month and have been lurking around any info about the HST this year due to the massive snow and high water, as I plan to hike the trail this summer!

I started backpacking with my dad in the Pacific Northwest at the age of 7 in the Jefferson Wilderness and have been ever since.

I have done the JMT a few times, and have done a ton of shorter trips into the southern sierra at varying locations since moving to California about 10 years ago. I typically prefer destination backpacking and fishing to thru hiking. I would consider myself a level 3 backpacker who typically takes between 7-10 trips a year that vary in length from a simple overnighter to a few weeks.

I am lucky enough to be a teacher by profession so am looking forward to a fun (wet) season!

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful summer. :)

Andy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hello Happycamper and Andy,

Welcome to HST! Thank you both for the intro's. :)

HikingEagle
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by HikingEagle »

Hi All! I'm Adam,

I have been a member of HST for a few months for planning a few backpacking trips this summer. I am 21, a senior at CSULB, and I started backpacking in Boy Scouts and haven't stopped, both in backpacking and Scouting. I have done a few weeks of backpacking in Philmont New Mexico, a week in the Kearsarge Pass area, several weekenders all over, and I just did a 4 day trip in Sequoia on the High Sierra Trail to Eagle Scout Peak that I am currently writing the report on for everybody. Future trips this summer include a week in the Golden Trout Wilderness and a week to Rae's Lakes. Without HST my latest trip would not have been possible, so thank you all!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Adam,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading the TR's to some those places, especially the ESP, views of the Kaweah Ridge is really nice from the summit. :nod: