Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by c9h13no3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 pm

BaneSierras wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm
c9h13no3 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am
BaneSierras wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am
So we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

Thanks in advance for any input.
That's a doozy of an intro. You probably want to make a new thread. But the short version is that the trail up Kaweah Gap isn't traveled much in snow conditions. The trail is cut into a cliff, and when that's covered with snow, you just have a cliff. Most skiers use other routes.

The good news is that in early June, there is little competition for permits. So you can generally have your pick. Plenty of other routes to choose from.

Haha. Thanks for the reply. I have contemplated starting a new thread but assumed this forum gets bombarded with similar topics and requests and I would hear mostly to use the search feature.

Maybe worthwhile to start a new thread if that's acceptable.

Thanks
Yeah, sure, you could probably figure it out by doing searches. But we don't get enough chatter here.

But yeah, June is shoulder season and usually peak snow melt. So you could be washed out to LA via the Kern, or have to climb a wall of snow on Kaweah gap. Or it could be mellow. But if I were you, if you want to plan ahead, choose a route with no river crossings, and no steep north facing slopes on your route.

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

TurboHike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:18 pm

BaneSierras wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am
So we are now looking at an early season HST, weather permitting.

Lurking here to try to gain insight from y'all as to anticipated conditions and if it's even something we should attempt early June. We are willing to pay ourselves beyond our comfort but within our abilities to remain safe (see baby on the way).

Thanks in advance for any input.
I didn't see that you started a new thread, so I'll make a quick reply here. It really depends on the prior winter, how much snow falls. Check out this video. It shows some stream crossings. The 8:15 mark shows crossing Hamilton Gorge. It sums up a lot of what you might see early in the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPw8EykiK4

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:01 pm

I would recommend you spin up a new thread.

BaneSierras
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BaneSierras » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Will do this evening. Thanks for the info so far. Looking forward to being more than a lurker

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Don't forget to use the search function.. ;)

ce814
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ce814 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm

maverick wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 pm
Hi Chris,

Happy New Year, and welcome to HST!

Thanks, just got my first permits for the year! Early July entry at Piute Pass and I couldn't be more stoked!