Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote:
I'm merely sticking reminders on the internet... take from it what is useful, please keep
up the good work in not risking yourself or others.
Which is very useful and informational, but let us direct this towards everyone out
there in another thread and not seemingly piling it on a member(new).
Thank You.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:
I'm merely sticking reminders on the internet... take from it what is useful, please keep
up the good work in not risking yourself or others.
Which is very useful and informational, but let us direct this towards everyone out
there in another thread and not seemingly piling it on a member(new).
Thank You.
Someday, someone might give me some slack given liberally to others... won't hold my breath.

This is always the internet, always public, and not always personal. Very rarely personal. I try not to take it as such, a lesson learned when screens were amber and digits transmitted at a mere crawl.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Your message delivery comes off as extremely over dramatic. Although I completely agree with you, people that don't know any better, but think they do will not hear it.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Yes, I agree. Despite the sincerity of your intentions you appeared to be implying that Satsuma was planning to violate the fire bans. I could understand someone taking that personally whether you meant it that way or not.
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

Oh now, I do not take personally as I never violate bans or rules especially in sierra. We did fires only where and when it was allowed reusing existing fire rings.

I always considered myself as much more environmentally cautious than average. For example I never used plastic bags even when it was not popular at all, I always was coming with my own reusable bags for shopping in times when I was the only one to do so. We never bring any soap and such in sierra, even bio versions, we use just plain water to wash our self, dishes and cloth. We try to be very minimalist in life in terms of using resources. I always considered using fire as a natural way. Cooking on fire when and where it is allowed save gas which is good in general.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Hi Satsuma, welcome! I understand your interest in fire as an added value part of the package and you do a great job of reassuring folks that you are on top of the game. I am not a fire maker myself (anymore, once stoves got to be semi-reliable) but I understand the attraction. Wandering Daisy as typical provides an experienced and nuanced perspective from a life-time of outdoor experience.

Looking forward to your trip report when you get back. Please understand that folks on HST are all passionate about stuff but are well intentioned. I've been guilty (cough, cough) of perhaps laying it on, a time or two... :rolleyes:
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

Thank you. Actually, I am not that new to forum, I am here for 3+ years. I never shared TR, however. I am not a photographer and we are not doing anything special, just JMT or some other well known and well maintained trails. We enjoy backpacking since childhood and this is the way to recharge for the year ahead.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

A belated welcome, Satsuma. I don't think any of us need to worry about you abusing the wilderness.

And to those in whatever degree of disagreement with AlmostThere, the point is that everyone who uses the wilderness should be reminded of the conditions and requirements under which we use the resource. AT's only advocating following the rules.

Peace.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
WillieCash
Topix Novice

Post by WillieCash »

I'm so courteous that I only set fires in camps of others :whistle:
bitingspider
Topix Novice

Post by bitingspider »

We love campfires, though they're often more work. That said...
20.jpg
works just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.